2020 3rd Gen D-Max

ABFoz

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester XS
Transmission
4EAT
They displayed this on motor shows and events in Asia and now those who are interested are waiting for it to be released. Even here, we still have the 2nd Gen on display.

I have a good history with Isuzus. They have always had higher tensile ladder-frame steel in their passenger vehicles because they use the same ones used in their commercial vehicles which run forever. The Isuzus I used to own are still alive with the original engine and gearbox.

I also like how they tuned their suspension to accommodate jumping. The Bighorn that I used and raced had 2-stage passive bump stops that can easily be replaced by an aftermarket active one. I wonder if they maintained that sort of suspension tuning.

The 4wd version has full underbody protection, as well as the older gens.

The rear diff-lock will be handy, of course. If I am to own one, though, I'd remove the diff-lock sticker in the tub, after the warranty, haha!

I think if the newer gen MU-X adopts the design language of the 3rd gen D-Max, it will look rad.

Absolutely! Can't wait to see whats included!

Some markets have the manual DPD regen button in their D-Max and MU-X models. I haven't heard of such in NZ or OZ. There is a mod/hack, though, if you want to have it in your Isuzu because all commercial Isuzu trucks have them.

The DPD in the 4JJ1 non-commercial models is scheduled to run every 500km. Sometimes you get really bad diesel and you have to force regen and a button would be very handy.

And there doesnt seem to have any recall/issue with the Isuzu DPD yet?

No recall issues yet. They implemented the DPD on their commercial trucks first before they brought it to consumer ones.

There is a recommended low-ash oil for the DPD which helps reduce ash buildup. At around 400,000km, some owners get their auto-regen reprogrammed to every 250 to 300km instead of the stock 500km. With the low-sulphur diesel that we are getting now, we can probably ask the dealer to set the regen to every 250km? Still, the manual regen mod is probably the best thing that can be done to a modern Isuzu consumer vehicle.

Authorised Isuzu dealers have sonic cleaners for their commercial and consumer DPDs. Other manufacturers don't. They recommend sonic cleaning every 100,000km as part of regular maintenance. Cheers.

Last edited:
Back