Steels or alloys?

silver

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual
The cost of revamping my car for the coming trip is starting to get out of hand.
I was going to get another 3 steel wheels, as i already have 4 from when i changed to alloys, which would give me 4 for the car,2 for the boat trailer and 1 for a spare mounted on the trailer as well as the std spare.
My question is...how do you think the alloys will stand up to the off road stuff?
Generally i tend to take things easy and prefer to avoid trouble. I don't go belting over roads i don't know,well not too much anyway, and will be towing a boat.:)

Alloys look better. I have done some decent stuff and so far only have one full size scratch across the alloy, think im doing well.

Whatever you choose, get all the same otherwise you will never want to rotate your tyres, as some will be steel and others wont.

Well, that was the original plan. Probably still the best. I'll have to find some other ways of saving some money.

The problem with alloys is that unlike steel, they will shatter if pushed to their breaking limit off road. That's why you don't see ANY hardcore offroader or rock crawler running alloys. A steel wheel will just bend, which is an easy fix along the side of the trail. I sold my alloys and run steelies on my Foz for peace of mind. I've bent every single one of them, 3 of them on different trails, and have fixed all 5 of them.

(fingers crossed) I've had no trouble with alloys, either the OEM or the aftermarket "Speedy" wheels - both sets have taken some big hits! Generally speaking, if your tyre pressures are correct and you're driving to the conditions you should be OK.

I have always stuck to rule of alloys for highways, and steel for byways. Alloys look so much better for street use when not scratched, steel can always be 'fixed' with a coat of paint.:iconwink:

Mind you, I only have steel for my L-Series.:sad:

Beigewagon.

Back