Brown Mountain 16 October 2010

carljwnc

Emeritus Forum Staff
Car Year
Car Model
Forester Touring
Transmission
CVT
:woohoo:Great day in the dirt, rocks, sand, mud...

Met my buddy Jami (aka. yelnats_j on some other forums) in his FJ Cruiser at 10am and we didn't get off the trail till 4pm. It was Jami, his son and nephew, myself and my son Hayden. I left most of the photo/video duties up to Hayden which didn't produce the most desirable results, there are pics, but I haven't had time to sort them all out yet. This may become a slow posted trip report.

Anyway, fantastic day, no dramas/damage or necessary recoveries. A six month late start to my wheelin' season (due to my former coolant leak) just in time for it to be over.:sad: However, there is at least one more trip in the works for next month.:ebiggrin:

Pics coming soon...

Can't wait to see the pics & report of you having lots of fun in the dirt, rocks, sand, mud.... :ebiggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Beautiful Fall NC day through YotaRu's window.:)
001.jpg

Your photographer...
006.jpg

Parking lot/trail head...
008.jpg

Tease...:raspberry:

Did my post wake you up :rotfl: that was a surprise. Looks great, want more :biggrin:

Nate

Did my post wake you up :rotfl: that was a surprise. Looks great, want more :biggrin:

Nate

Didn't wake me up, but I knew somebody was going to bust out the 'TTIWWP's emoticon on me.:surprised:

We always pose at the 'pose rock' (more later)...
018.jpg

Another one by our 10 year old photog...
014.jpg

The rock behind the 'pose rock' is pretty cool, trees and whatnot growing out of the cracks.
025.jpg

That's it for today's installment, I really don't have that many great pics, but I will get some links to my buddy Jami's video, and I have a couple too..

Great report & pics carljwnc. :ebiggrin:

That pic with rock with all the "whatnot" growing out of it is a beauty. :biggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Either side of the pose rock is a 'dirt slide', the kids had fun skiing down it for a while.:)
024-1.jpg

Flex shot...(love the reflection of the FJ in the rear glass:))
032.jpg

...to get my BudBuilt catalog shot.
038.jpg

ORS tribute shot.:cool:
027.jpg

More later, I promise I'll finish up today....:iconwink:

looks like a fun day out Carl. iv'e almost forgoten what offroading is like:cry: getting super jelous of all these fantastic reports

I hear you eden, this is my first offroad trip since our 'season' began six months ago, it's also hard to hold a candle to tweaksta's trip report.:biggrin:

Anyway, I lied...no I didn't lie...I had every intention of finishing this up yesterday, but I got caught at home by myself with my two kids plus my wife's best friends two kids, and the dog while they went off to shoot a wedding.:raspberry: Two 10 year old boys can be quite the computer hogs, and a six and five year old can keep you quite busy in between dog walking.

Well then, Jami and the FJ climb a rocky section, Jami has a video of me here, but I don't have a link yet.:sad:
060.jpg

Jami climbs the last, and one of the most fun, sections of trail before you get to the top of the mountain, while I walk backwards running the video trying not to fall and get squished by the FJ.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl7tKrwQ-Eo"]YouTube - Brown Mountain 10-16-10 01[/ame]

The really big rock at the top.
069.jpg

075.jpg

Nice spot for a little picnic lunch.:)
071.jpg

Little mud hole with my son (your camera man) being silly at the end.:lol:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVTg1-Uod_E&feature=mfu_in_order&playnext=1&videos=VaEOFhH7rpc"]YouTube - Brown Mountain 10-16-10 02[/ame]

We had to go through two such little mud holes, which weren't very deep, but Jami managed to find the deep spot in both of them.
083.jpg

Back down to the 'pose rock' for more posing, Jami parked so the boys could climb on top.
094.jpg

087.jpg

092.jpg

Thats it...all I've got until I get some video and maybe some more pics from Jami, one more parting shot.:)
095.jpg

Great day, lots of fun, couldn't have asked for better weather, next trip coming soon...

Brilliant report....I love the scenery over there. Must try to see it first hand one day. The cars look pretty hard core too. Now that's offroading!

Yeh Tweaksta drive the forry threw the big pond its just another water crossing your trip gave you plenty of practice :discomonkey:

Nate

Jami climbs the last, and one of the most fun, sections of trail before you get to the top of the mountain, while I walk backwards running the video trying not to fall and get squished by the FJ.
YouTube - Brown Mountain 10-16-10 01

The really big rock at the top.
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/terrapondus/Brow][/quote]

Is that climb on trail 8 or the top of trail 1? I was up there today in my Jeep JK and the top of 1 got REAL skinny there at the Miller Family area and I didn't make it up 8, wanted to head back down the hill and have some lunch - didn't realize the big rock was up there - oh well just means I have to make another trip up the hill...

Is that climb on trail 8 or the top of trail 1? I was up there today in my Jeep JK and the top of 1 got REAL skinny there at the Miller Family area and I didn't make it up 8, wanted to head back down the hill and have some lunch - didn't realize the big rock was up there - oh well just means I have to make another trip up the hill...

Well, yes and yes, the skinny part is the top of trail 1 at the top of that is the intersection of 1 and 8. Trail 8 is well worth it, I usually climb trail 1 up and come back down on trail 8. Are you local to the area??? Let's go wheelin'!!!:) Check out my Hurricane Creek post as well.

Oh, and Howdy and :welcome:gDub!!!

Back