Offroad Subaru Video

YouTube has been assimilated by Google ya know, so there's that advance in technology

;)

Gidday Eric

It doesn't work for me, but then I don't log in to my faecesbook account, because I feel that it encourages them! ;)

I joined a 'closed' Facebook group some years ago at the request of its founding member, who is a friend. Next thing I know is that I am being bombarded by Facebook and other advertising coming from that source. It has also bombarded me with "friend" requests.

The only reason I don't shut down the account is out of loyalty to my friend ...

It treats security as if it were advertising material, as does Google. Both companies have been done for this in most major legal jurisdictions in the world.

Try posting stuff on YouTube instead, perhaps?

I'm trying to get the videos that my brother took from him so that way I can post it on YouTube so everyone can see it.

Gidday Eric

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh. It was directed at Facebook, not you ...:iconwink: :cool:.

All the best with getting the videos up on YouTube.

Good to hear that your Subie served you well, and exceeded the expectations of your other family members ... :biggrin: :lildevil:.

No I understand on your behalf..I don't usually do facebook much except for keeping up with my family stuff since we live in different states.

Proving people wrong about your car is a good feeling and making them feel like crap. It was fun. So pictures and videos from YouTube will be up when I get home.

From long ago in a galaxy far,far away.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDbosdPP70Q"]Mud Foz.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Miss my Foz......

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OSWKTBfcsY"]Forester greatest hits.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Gidday FS

Some good footage and good driving and line choices there, mate ... :biggrin: :lildevil:.

As for the answer to you missing your Fozzie ... :poke: :lol: :lildevil:.

Even my '93 Impreza was a lot more capable than I would have thought when I bought it new.
Underpowered to hell, wrong gearing, far too low for any off road work - but I still went places in it that made SWMBO go a bit whitish :rotfl:.

Got divorced,went through bankruptcy,everything went away but clothes and bike.

I do have this now but still miss the Foz.

Still thinking about getting another and making it an off road only rig.

^ I can identify with bits of that. Not the bankruptcy, but the other stuff. Its horrible beyond description ... :(.

Glad that things appear to be coming back together again for you, mate.

Very satisfying to tow out a Rangie lol :monkeydance:

But you really need to get a 5T snatch strap. Using a rope is a very bad idea with a Subaru. The monocoque chassis bends pretty easily...

Very satisfying to tow out a Rangie lol :monkeydance:

But you really need to get a 5T snatch strap. Using a rope is a very bad idea with a Subaru. The monocoque chassis bends pretty easily...

What do you mean?

A good snatch strap, like the one I just got from ARB, has 20% stretch. A good rope is 25-30%. While the ropes (and the ARB strap) can create enormous forces when the pulling vehicle backs up more and speeds up further, the use of elastic materials is supposed to lessen the shock loads.

Now, I have never pulled or been pulled, but I read extensively before I got the ARB strap and there seems to be a great divide on the subject with those familiar with ropes/highly elastic straps advocating their advantages over less elastic materials not only in terms of effectiveness, but also in terms of shock load.

Of course, I guess that if NOTHING moves, then the force, which would be huge if the pulling vehicle backs up and speeds up before pulling, would have to do something to something...either throw the pulling vehicle back or brake things?

Since I assume that the eye of the towing bolt is the weakest link, I bought ROPE shackles at four times the cost of rated bow shackles hoping that if the eye ever lets go, only rope/strap will be involved (blanket over middle of strap). The rope shackles are rated at almost twice the ARB strap braking strength so they are not braking anytime soon.

Sorry, a rope has little stretch, certainly not 25-30% lol. Did you watch the vid? You can see there is very little or NO stretch in the rope.

A snatch strap is designed to work like a rubber band. It converts the kinetic energy of the recovery vehicle into potential energy in the strap, which is then released PROGRESSIVELY & SMOOTHLY into kinetic energy in the stuck vehicle.

This does 2 things. First, it insulates both vehicles from the shock that a rope or tow strap would have. Less shock = less damage
2nd, it reduces the amount of effort that is needed to pull the stuck vehicle free. A snatch strap would have had the Rangie out much sooner...

A 5T snatch strap is essential on a Subaru. To use anything heavier than maybe 6T you are risking damage. A typical 4WD snatch strap is 8-12T which on a little Subie is like using a rope. Not just risking damage but also making the recovery more difficult.

Sorry, a rope has little stretch, certainly not 25-30% lol. Did you watch the vid? You can see there is very little or NO stretch in the rope.

A snatch strap is designed to work like a rubber band. It converts the kinetic energy of the recovery vehicle into potential energy in the strap, which is then released PROGRESSIVELY & SMOOTHLY into kinetic energy in the stuck vehicle.

This does 2 things. First, it insulates both vehicles from the shock that a rope or tow strap would have. Less shock = less damage
2nd, it reduces the amount of effort that is needed to pull the stuck vehicle free. A snatch strap would have had the Rangie out much sooner...

A 5T snatch strap is essential on a Subaru. To use anything heavier than maybe 6T you are risking damage. A typical 4WD snatch strap is 8-12T which on a little Subie is like using a rope. Not just risking damage but also making the recovery more difficult.

I agree with everything, then, except for your definition of rope. Forget the guy on the video.

A proper kinetic rope definitely has more stretch than a strap. We are talking advanced tech here, not our grandparents' ropes!

Google "kinetic recovery rope."

The only strap I have found that comes somewhat close to a rope is the ARB I bought.

Yes there are dynamic ropes like those used in rock climbing. This was a simple static rope. I have never seen a dynamic rope either offroad or in 4wd shops. It's unlikely the ARB strap you have is less than 8T so will have considerably less stretch than a proper 5t strap which is what is needed for a Subaru.

Again, this is what is universally recommended by experienced Subaru offroaders to be essential for a safe recovery involving a Subaru, either as the recovery vehicle or the stuck vehicle.

Mods, Perhaps this discussion should be moved to the recovery gear thread....

NachaLuva, outside of Australia a lot of countries are more likely to use a snatch rope rather than a snatch strap. Some work by using a twisting action to make them even more stretchy. Just one of those things that some countries typically do one way and others do another way. One of these ropes are used in the topgear polar special (not that topgear is usually anything to be guided by :poke:) and it has heaps of stretch, looks superior to any strap ive seen.

Any unless I am mistaken the video is using a strap not a rope anyway which is probably a non stretchy tow strap which is made even more obvious by its short length.

Back