Offroad Subaru Video

FozzyMatt

Forum Member
Hey everyone.

So this is something I've been thinking about for a while, so I thought I might pitch it to the forum and see what the level of interest would be for something like this.

I have a fairly strong interest in filmmaking. I would love to spend more time doing it, but unfortunately it is something that takes a huge level of commitment to do properly and it has been a long time since I allowed myself the time to dedicate to a project.

Something that I thought would be a great project to dedicate some time to is an offroad Subaru video. Now I know many of us take video of our trips, but I'm talking about doing something that is kind of on the next level - a polished, well though-out and planned video that has our cars looking awesome. It would almost be like an ad for Subarus, demonstrating the offroad capabilities that so many people doubt.

So what I want to do is get a group of cars (and drivers, of course) together who would be interested in featuring in a video that shows our Subarus off for what they really are and do it in style. With DSLR cameras so readily available these days, it would be a full HD production, properly edited, and I have a friend who would throw together a mean soundtrack for it.

Ideally I'd probably like to spend at least two full weekends shooting it, across a number of different terrains to showcase the versatility of these vehicles.

So basically what this thread is about is seeing who would be interested in spending a bit of time working on a project like this with me. The finished result would be something that would not only find its way onto forums and YouTube but would be festival-worthy material.

So what do you all think? Feel free to prod, poke, criticise and ask questions, because this is the absolute birth of this idea.

Sounds great, I'm keen. We can also have a spread of GoPros on the car at various points as well as external cameras...thinking Ken Block style :lildevil:

Sounds like a great idea!!!:cool:

I know you are the one being interested in being the film maker, but, since there are others spread far and wide, what about using other folks footage in the final cut? Might lend to more diversity in vehicles and terrain. Just my little bit of $.02. Either way, I think it's a great idea.:ebiggrin:

I know you are the one being interested in being the film maker, but, since there are others spread far and wide, what about using other folks footage in the final cut? Might lend to more diversity in vehicles and terrain.
I was thinking the very same thing after I posted my reply.

Regards
Mr Turbo

So my thoughts on how best to get this done and attract as many people from as many areas as possible:

- I am located in Victoria, so obviously I am keen to co-ordinate shoots in Victoria. If we can get someone from every state who is keen to be sort of a "leader" in organising and collaborating a shoot that would be fantastic, obviously every state is ambitious but it's worth a shot. If we end up with just sort of "regional" groups then that would be good too.

- The scenes that do end up in the final cut would all need to be shot in the same image quality. I'll post what camera and it's associated aspect ratio etc I'll be using shortly so that we have something to work off.

The first thing I really want to do, other than finding out who is on board to be featured in the video, is think about locations. I would like to feature a number of terrains, probably mud, sand, rocks and (if possible) snow, so get thinking about ideas for locations for these folks.

Yeah I am also pretty keen depending on when/other commitments.
If people could only come for one or two days rather than the whole time that would still be of use?

For different terrains, WA could feature with their sand, Vic/NSW with rocky tracks, Qld has World Heritage Listed Fraser I, known all over the world, there could be something near Ayers Rock (Uluru), SA has Flinders Ranges. Overseas there are many iconis areas, esp Moab, Utah (but many others as well). Local "leaders" sounds like the best way to manage that...

Alright so just a bit of an update on where we're at with this - I'm going to create a trip thread for a bit of a location scout for some of the Victorian locations. Anyone who is interested in leading for the other states/regions, please shoot me a PM so we can get this mighty ball rolling :)

I was just turned on to this thread/idea (thx t Gravel_Rocks) and love it!
Don't get too ambitious for a first run production, but at the same time don't be too lenient. I'm down with trying to contribute from Up over (Moab, USA), here's a link to some clips I just threw up on the tube this AM.
https://youtu.be/fe-3zyfsw_M

In Moab I can find rocks, gravel, sand, dirt, fast, slow, and seasonally snow.
Check out some other videos in my youtube profile to, but I would love to contribute to this if I can.

:lildevil:

Ciao and keep it coming, sounds great!!

copy!
This sounds great, I'd love to contribute from Moab, USA if possible!!

I would be interested in doing something if you would like, I have a bit of time on my hands and access to various terains.

let me know what you want and I may be able to get you some 1080p HD footage of various actions :biggrin:

the beauty of townsville is easy access to some offroad fun

To both Superu_legacy and OutbackOiler, I would be happy to have you both on board.

I passed through Moab on my trip to the USA last year - awesome, awesome, epic terrain. If you can get some stylized shots including some of those rock formations going it would be awesome.

And Townsville I can't say I've ever been but I'd love to and I'd love to see what's on offer. I encourage both of you to organise scouting trips similar to what I have just done:

https://www.offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=4745

https://www.offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=4800

Ok everyone, here is the first sample of what is to come.

This is a demo I have put together from footage taken over the location scouting trip in Victoria last weekend. It is very much a shadow of what I want the finished product to be, but it at least gives you a bit of an idea about what I'm hoping to achieve.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3O0i4-9Trc"]Offroad Subaru Victoria Demo Teaser - YouTube[/ame]

I encourage everyone to get involved with the creation of the full-length video so we can make it totally and completely awesome. I've created this YouTube channel (OffroadSubaru) specifically for the purpose of this project, so (pardon my spamming here) if you're keen to either be involved or just see how it comes along please subscribe.

Hope you enjoy it!

Nicely put together. Love the sound track!
I have put a link to the video on my youtube channel so maybe you will get some more people interested.

that is rad Matt!! Also love the soundtrack. Who is it and where can i get more of them???? Looking forward to heading out again with you all!!

Back