Kevin

Administrator
Car Year
MY'03
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
A/T
GM has announced to discontinue the iconic "Holden" brand here. 600 jobs to go in June; sad. I've only ever had one Holden and it was a company car (back then I also had my FJ Toyota SWB for fun weekends)

Yes. The news popped up on my app.

It had been one of the staple brands here and in OZ. Everywhere you go here there were parts for any RWD model. My grandpa had a VH commodore wagon that didn't want to die. Parts were soooo easy. Welp, nothing is meant to last forever. They were the definition of proper cars in the 90's when most of the manufacturers went FWD. They struggled with sales in the past decade partly because of the SUV revolution.

When I was young the family only had front-engine RWD sedans from Toyota and Mitsubishi, manual gearbox, of course. I had total fun in my RWD days. I did time trials with them. OZ muscle cars were a bit too expensive for us gas-wise but I was always tempted because of tuner parts availability and the cars being DIY friendly.

Getting into a Holden V8 was like getting into a muscle car because it essentially is. It's not only the manual gearbox we're saying goodbye to. RWD vehicles are almost gone from manufacturers' stables already.

Back