Pikes Peak Hill Climb '09 pics & vids

SubaCool

Forum Member
On Sunday, the 19th, I went to the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb and spent the day watching the action at 14,000 feet. The day started out very early for me, 4am through the gates, got to the Devil's Playground by about 5:30am. The racing started right around 9, so I took a little nap til then. I stuck around for the vintage racers come through the Devil's Playground, then hiked up to the Bottomless Pit corner to watch some high speed dirt action. Last year, [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EiHthtVQo8"]I was at the same corner and witnessed an Evo crash[/ame]. I didn't get that "lucky" this time, but I still got some good shots of the racers.
I'm not sure why, but it seemed like last year there was more variety in cars than this year. This year, there were no Subarus at all for some reason, no big rigs, and it just didn't seem as impressive. Oh well, got the ticket for free, I guess I shouldn't be complaining much :raspberry:
Anywhoo, Pictures!
The Classics:
DSC00013Medium.jpg

DSC00018Medium.jpg

RS200:
DSC00020Medium.jpg

DSC00027Medium.jpg

Off course, The "Monster" Suzuki driven by THE Tajima:
DSC00034Medium.jpg

These guys are nuts (notice the 'passenger' giving me the Thumb Up):
DSC00041Medium.jpg

The Quads:
DSC00082Medium.jpg

Bikes:
DSC00101Medium.jpg

DSC00109Medium.jpg

More pics:​
The Cobras:
DSC00119Medium.jpg

DSC00122Medium.jpg

DSC00127Medium.jpg

Wicked fast Civic:
DSC00139Medium.jpg

Rhys Millen's Hyundai Genesis:

DSC00148Medium.jpg

DSC00149Medium.jpg

That thing looked fun​

Porsche 928:
DSC00155Medium.jpg

Fiesta:
DSC00160Medium.jpg

Mustang Powa:
DSC00163Medium.jpg

Two Evos:
DSC00166Medium.jpg

DSC00170Medium.jpg

Two Camaros:
DSC00176Medium.jpg

^^^I got hit in the head by several small rocks :yell: that came flying off his tires as he downshifted into a lower gear (2nd?).
DSC00181Medium.jpg

Another Mustang:
DSC00187Medium.jpg

After that, my battery died, so I wasn't able to snap anymore pics, but I was able to get the PRO Trucks on video (which were next). Video to follow another day...​

There's another race next year :raspberry: I actually would love to race up Pikes Peak someday. Call me crazy, but that is on my Bucket list!! The bottom part is not so bad, but once you get out of the trees and see the naked edge, that's when it gets interesting :iconwink: I just hope I'll be able to do it before they pave the whole thing!!

Ok, videos will follow soon, I promise! I've been busy with some other things for the past few days, but I will get the vids up soon. I think I'm just gonna put together few longer videos instead of just uploading each single car. So stay tuned!!

Goodness, this seems like good fun! Been reading about it on Autoblog, but the pics and videos here are much more illustrative.

Videos

Ok, the promised videos :biggrin:
Tajima's "Monster" Suzuki
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHw1s0EK0-0"]YouTube - Monster Suzuki[/ame]
Compilation of various race cars passing by
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r99Oo6ebik"]YouTube - PPIHC 09 compl[/ame]

I'm really glad I was able to shoot pictures while shooting video too. The quality isn't the greatest :(
I was procrascinating making the compilation, but finaly got it done tonight (in case you're wondering, I've started at 10pm, it's about 3am now :poke:).

Back