OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Suspension, Handling and Brakes

Notices

Unread 30th March 2013, 08:35 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road
Question Rear Trailing Arms

I will soon be putting in my 2" full body lift kit. In the rear, I will also be putting in a 1" spacer on top of my Kings raised springs. Due to the 35mm raised height, the rear wheels have moved forward by about 9mm (gap around tyre is ~40mm fr & ~58mm rr).

I'm going to lengthen the rear trailing arms, just wondering by how much? I'm thinking by about 15-20mm?

Last edited by NachaLuva; 31st March 2013 at 05:06 AM.
Unread 30th March 2013, 10:34 PM
Forum Member

stilson is on a distinguished road

Will this mean the wheel will be 20-25mm too far back under full jounce?
Are you taking this approach to avoid the problems associated with trailing arm spacers, ie: tear outs?
Unread 31st March 2013, 05:05 AM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Because of the suspension lift with the HD Kings (~35mm), the rear wheels have been dragged forward by ~9mm.

I'm putting in a 2" full body lift kit which incl 2" trailing arm spacers but also putting in 1" strut top spacers on top of the 2" strut top blocks, so the wheels will be dragged even further forward.

I do have Outback trailing arm mounts (extra 1") but prefer not to use them as the further the pivot point is away from the body the more it acts as a lever trying to rip out the captive nuts! Under normal circumstances, not an issue. But as I intend to do some "fun" tracks where momentum will be needed while bouncing over rocks/ruts, etc, this puts all the components under severe stress & I dont want to risk stress fractures in the rails let alone anything more catastrophic like Dulagarl

I am wanting to centre the wheels. If they've moved forward ~9mm with the springs & will move further forward with the 1" strut tops, then how much will I need to extend the trailing arms to get the wheels back to centre? I'm guessing about 15-20mm...
Unread 31st March 2013, 05:09 AM
Forum Member

taza is on a distinguished road

I have 50mm trailing arm spacers and 100mm lift in the rear. The wheels do sit slightly forward but there is still about 20mm between the wheel and the front guard/body. This is with my 225/70R15 tyres.
I'd just leave the 50mm trailing arm spacers as is. My wheel alignment specs come up alright aswell....
Unread 1st April 2013, 09:04 AM
Forum Member

d_generate is on a distinguished road

When we lengthened mine I took the 60mm spacers out (we tried everything to get it to stop self steering) and went with no spacers and added 25mm to the trailing arms, I'd say 20mm would be a safer bet, mine sat perfect but under compression they went back a little more than I wanted though I never had an issue after fitting them, it totally transformed the way the car drove