• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Torque Split & description of the MT/AT AWD system (Merged)

Ratbag

Administrator
Car Year
MY06, MY10
Car Model
Forester SG & SH
Transmission
5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Gidday All

Considering the amount of half-baked, misinformation about this in many threads, here is the link to the official Subaru/Fuji Heavy Industries web page that describes the torque split for both manual and automatic transmissions for all model Subies.

Subaru Corporation (no longer valid)

(Thanks to Thunder for the link to this link)

The standard default torque split for ALL our vehicles is either 50:50, 45:55 or 60:40 F:R dependent on the specific model.

NO Subaru vehicle has the much-touted 90:10 F:R torque split for early AT vehicles (I have been guilty of repeating this misinformation myself ... Sorry :( ).

[EDIT Aug 2020] This link has been altered by Subaru, and is now here:

[End edit]

Last edited:
Gidday Barry

That's what I thought at the start, so I made the thread with its sucker stuck already ... :rotfl:

I believe the ratios changed over the years where 60/40 was from 2008/2009. With a quick look I could find no reference to model year in the article.

From Forester Technical Description Page 19 for the second generation Forester “Automatic Transmission AWD” Subaru Australia publication P-FTB03:

“This system can infinitely vary the distribution between 95% front and 5% rear wheel drive to a 60/40 ratio with static weight distribution”

It's a PDF so I'm happy to email it to anyone who is interested

Last edited:
I saw that thread. I'm surprised that the info about 90:10 distribution seems so consistent throughout all the forums I've read since it seems to not be true.

I saw that thread. I'm surprised that the info about 90:10 distribution seems so consistent throughout all the forums I've read since it seems to not be true.

Like so many others I thought it was true too. Ahhh, dont ya love the inaccuracy of the interweb :rotfl:

My bros Honda CRV is 90:10 varying to 60:40 or 80:20, cant remember. I do remember him in fairly firm sand at Kalbarri spinning only the front wheels :rotfl:

From Forester Technical Description Page 19 for the second generation Forester “Automatic Transmission AWD” Subaru Australia publication P-FTB03:

“This system can infinitely vary the distribution between 95% front and 5% rear wheel drive to a 60/40 ratio with static weight distribution”

It's a PDF so I'm happy to email it to anyone who is interested - PM me your email address. I have also updated the referenced thread on the subject with this correct information.

As I've said before, the ratio has changed over the years.

Last edited:
Gidday Kevin

I would like a copy, thanks.

However, note that again they state what is on their web site that the default is "... a 60/40 ratio with static weight distribution."

All the other stuff is saying is that the centre diff can vary the torque distribution a lot, depending on the circumstances (which we all knew). It appears that this has been taken by some to mean that the default is one of these other figures.

I was also reading up on the DCCD here, which is different again (like Lego, LOL!):
https://www.subaru-global.com/tec_dccd.html

No, it does not state the default is 60/40 at all. The current technical information on their website woud not apply to 11+ yo vehicles.

Last edited:
There are different computer maps for the AWD in the 4eat depending upon throttle position and gear selected. WOT and 1st is almost a 50/50 (or 60/40 depending upon year). 2nd and third are more aggressive in the awd split then D. That was all on a endwrench article I can try to dig up if someone wants to see it.

Thanks, nipper. Very interesting. Makes sense that staying in 1st would give the most even torque split between front and rear.

I would definitely be interested in that article! Sounds like they researched the article in quite some detail. Having their data would help not having to reinvent the wheel here on ORS. :)

There are different computer maps for the AWD in the 4eat depending upon throttle position and gear selected. WOT and 1st is almost a 50/50 (or 60/40 depending upon year). 2nd and third are more aggressive in the awd split then D. That was all on a endwrench article I can try to dig up if someone wants to see it.

I saw all the endwrench articles posted on that other thread. I read through I few of them and I didn't find that about the awd in 1, 2, 3 or D. Do you know which one it is, I'd like to take a look at it.

Ok, I have a 4EAT with a HOLD and POWER switch.
Now I know the HOLD seems to give me 50:50 torque split as well as blocking off 1st gear. Meaning it starts in 2nd and remaps the AT gear changes to much earlier revs to prevent wheel spin on mud/ice during a gear change.
But how much does the POWER option affect the AT torque split?
As far as I have read here nothing has yet covered these extra AT options.

Back