Notices

User Tag List

Old 20th January 2018, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

When I have used the high-lift on the side of the Foz I open the door. They are very useful and safe if you know how to use them and take extreme care. Great for moving a car sideways out of trouble by jacking up front or back and pushing sideways. I've also used mine as a spring compressor.
Old 20th January 2018, 06:13 PM
Contributing Member

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

Again, I assume that in the Baltic your concern is mud.

If you have skid plates and a single exhaust, an air jack shoukd be both more effective and much easier to use under the front. Not so with dual exhaust or the rear so there is that. I got a cheapo one fm Ebay but it does work.

There is no perfect solution. At least the air jack is not nearly as dangerous. It is also much lighter and more convenient to store.

All of the above assume you need the lift from a bad hole. The alternative would be good traction mats though those too are hard with a Subaru cause you need to avoid wheelspin and that is hard without low range even if starting in higher gear.
Old 20th January 2018, 06:55 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

yes i think for recovery purpose i could just lift car by rim no even need to use side but i guess it could be done as well. but im thinking just for normal purpose even in garage when i just need lift car on flat surface. if i have hi lift i want to use it for all ways . i heard others still uses normal jack for lifting car and then hi lift as for recovery . i think why not just use one thing for all.

thinking of doing lift point in rear right there. well its same point that holds recovery points in rear so it should be strongest point there. only if i could make so i could lift car with bumper on on that point. maybe cut hole in bumper in that place and again with longer tube adapter as i have or i would make other one i could lift car there with bumper on.

i will cut my exhaust end later so it wont stick out so much. i wanna put exaust more inside too maybe even hide exhaust that is hanging in middle so much out.
air jack costs like 3x times as hi lift i wont just buy it to use maybe once or twice in year. Hi lift i could use for all needs for pullling as well so i dont see any other jack as versatile as hi lift.
i allready bought hi lift so i will use it now. i just wanna make it more easy to use and more universal and lift all sides of car. sides too. it could be done just need some more build in it. and some more metal to weld.

i guess even 4wd cars cant lift side of car without rock sliders. they would have same problem as us. i guess a because center of mass is not in center of jack so its moving torward it and pushing to door. as i tested front i can lift almost no prob on side it pushing some to door but not much , but for rear near rear wheel is more difficult.

all i need is some ideas what people using and i will think of whats better for me from that simpliest ways allways best

those small tubes they using for front runner and lift points so simple lighter and better then my beast

Last edited by scalman; 20th January 2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 20th January 2018, 08:10 PM

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X MY05
Transmission: 5MT D/R
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

So that's what those T cuts are for!
See them quite a bit on vehilces up here, I never even thought that they might be jack points!
Old 21st January 2018, 11:03 AM

was thinking of doing that and now did it. relocated LED's into bumper. never saw anyone do anything similar to oem bumper , so i did to try it out. maybe round ones would fit better , but its pretty cool too.

Last edited by scalman; 21st January 2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 21st January 2018, 05:40 PM

video me having fun in snow at night in fields
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcmqsStP9HQ
Old 21st January 2018, 06:57 PM

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X MY05
Transmission: 5MT D/R
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

Those leds look great in the bumper., excellent job!
I didn't think there would be enough space behind the plastic to do that.
Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM

well leds radiators kinda long so leds dont go all way into bumper but they stick out not too much as well.just outside part stick outs. inside it almost all way into bumper. if i would move them more to center of bumper it would be plenty space there but i wanted them as much on sides as i could. because i was hitting them with mud and them with deeper snow they always get snow too , so now they safe and i have higher light too, not that i could see any difference from before in lighting road.
i thought i remember that some foresters had square fogs in bumpers too. i was right

mine looks like that

Last edited by scalman; Yesterday at 09:40 AM.