OFFROADSUBARUS.com

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > Technical Forums > Suspension, Handling and Brakes

Notices

Old 17th June 2017, 05:27 AM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Ok, that's only 26.7", 28" tyres can fit on SG struts without rubbing. Definitely too much negative camber. How did you fit the camber bolts, for extra neg camber or less?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camber Bolt 04-2.jpg (75.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 17th June 2017, 07:10 AM

turbo1600 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachaLuva View Post
Ok, that's only 26.7", 28" tyres can fit on SG struts without rubbing. Definitely too much negative camber. How did you fit the camber bolts, for extra neg camber or less?
hi, dont the bolts just go in , then you adjust for neg or pos camber. ?
i seem a little confused.....

what i done in the begining , i fitted two adj camber bolts on each side.

then i turned em to bring the top of the wheel in as much as the bolts would allow.
but the wheels where still sticking out at the top.

then i modified the lower strut bolt hole as stated before.
( since i welded high tensile washers to strut , that increased the overall width on bottom of strut , by the thickness of the 2 washers , 4mm. so i dont think a adj camber bolt in lower hole would work,.)

then i got a m14x1.5x70mm bolt to use in the lower hole.
and used a adj camber bolt in upper hole,.

with out doing a wheel alignment , i messed around with the top adj bolt and seems to be pretty darn good .
Old 17th June 2017, 09:35 AM

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

Another way to get more space between tyre and strut is to fit Forester SG lateral links. They are 415 mm long vs 400 mm on the Forester SF. Don't know the length on the BG Outback though.
Old 17th June 2017, 11:15 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

If you're running 26.7" tyres with SG struts & they're rubbing, that means you have a heap of negative camber. This matches with the mods you've done, when you slotted the bottom holes you did it too much and probably added around 3deg neg camber, or more!

So what you need to do is to fit the top camber bolts to add positive camber, not add negative camber. You do this by changing the direction of the HANDLE, twisting the bolt merely changes the amount of this type of camber.

EG, HANDLE pointing IN adds negative camber, rotate the bolt to control how much negative camber you add

HANDLE pointing OUT adds positive camber, rotate the bolt to control how much positive camber you add

Please look at the diagram I posted. You need to have the top camber bolts with the handle pointing OUT to add positive camber, and rotate the bolt to control how much positive camber you add.

After you've done this you need to go get a proper wheel alignment. Please don't drive the car without an alignment, you'll scrub the tyres out way too fast plus it will be dangerous as you won't have the proper handling

I make lift kits for Subarus. I deal with this kind of thing all day long, every day. Having any car, esp a Subaru, properly aligned makes a massive difference to the handling. If it didn't we wouldn't bother putting so much effort into the design of the camber & caster offsets, etc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camber Bolt 04-2.jpg (75.2 KB, 2 views)
Old Yesterday, 03:36 AM

turbo1600 is on a distinguished road

got wheel spacers , now the tires are leaning in at the top. it DID SEEM the holes i modified where goin to be ok. so got one strut of , removed the weld and washers , just gotta repoosition the lower bolt hole closer to its origional condition. will let ya know how it goes...