SH Front recovery point on nudge bar

meercat

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Auto
It was a quite weekend so I decided to see what I could come up with in the way of a front recovery point for my Forester. I have researched high and low and understand that the general consensus is that people utilise the front tie downs with an equaliser strap.

I have modified my Subaxtreme to include two tow hooks, first things first I would not ever consider doing any hard snatching from this point. So what did I do, the pictures will help explain but a basic outline is;

Upgraded the M8 front panel bolts by removing the welded on nuts and replacing them with high tensile (8.8) M10 bolts washers and spring washers and Loctite. Additionally I reinforced the back with a 3mm steel plate.

I utilised the existing Nudge bar brackets witch are made from 6mm steel with gussets welded on the single bend to provide extra strength. The nudge bar itself provides rigidity between the two points. For the tow hooks I used the existing rear hole and drilled an additional hole to mount the purchased hook that comes with all mounting hardware.

There is a tow hook on each side and I used a equaliser strap today when I flat towed the car as a test with some sudden jerking for good measure and all held up well.

To be honest I am not comfortable with it and will properly still use the tie down points if I had to recover from the front, was just a weekend project to see what was possible and encourage some thought.

Given that there is options available for kits to flat tow behind campers in the states, which use the original M8 bolts, I believe that there is definitely options available for a more robust option to be developed.

In the end they actually look pretty bad donkey and sometimes image is everything.

Attachments

• 20150816_123420.jpg
    20150816_123420.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20150816_101724.jpg
    20150816_101724.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
SH front recover point

Hi Meercat. My SH Forrester has a pop-out plate on the front bumper and a screw-in cast steel eyelet in the tool kit. Can this be used for recovery?

Back