New Zealand Lift, Tyre and Bullbar Legality

kiwifoz

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
L series
Transmission
5 speed dual-range PT4WD
In New Zealand, we have fairly restrictive legislation as to what you can do to your vehicle to modify it for offroad usage.
Because the Forester (and Outback) are car-based vehicles, there are very limited options available without requiring a certification.
This thread shall be written for the SG5 Forester, as that's what I own and have researched.

Tyres:
In NZ, tyres must "have an outer circumference that is no more than 5% greater than OE" - which rules out 215/70r16s or 215/75r15s.

There is nothing that stops the fitment of AT or MT type tyres however, but if snow/ice tyres are used the minimum legal tread depth is 4mm not 1.5mm and they must be fitted to all wheels in contact with the road.
Source: https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt...s,-wheels-and-hubs/tyres-and-wheels#table1011

Suspension:
In NZ, only a spring lift of less than 5cm (2") is legal. No body lift whatsoever is legal without certification, which also precludes the fitment of 'strut spacers' which fall under the body lift rules.

ANY form of aftermarket "coilover" adjustable type suspension requires certification.

If a body lift is undertaken, the steering shaft cannot be extended by welding unless undertaken by an appropriately qualified person. Crush tubes and boxing, as well as tying some blocks together, will almost certainly be necessary for a certificate to be issued.
Source:https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt...nd-suspension/steering-and-suspension-systems
https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt...sion/steering-and-suspension-systems#table911

Bullbars:
In NZ, the Forester SG is classified as a class MC vehicle (although this is probably debateable), placing it in the 'Offroad vehicle' category and making the fitment of bullbars legal. "As with Class MA vehicles, bullbars are only allowed if the vehicle has been crash tested and has met the requirements of the relevant frontal impact standard with the specific bullbar already fitted. You'll need to get this confirmed by the vehicle manufacturer."
SO basically it's going to bloody hard to satisfy that requirement, even with something like a Subaxtreme bar.

Unfortunately for an SF owner, the lower ground clearance/reduced angles class it as an MA or 'road' vehicle, making the fitment of bullbars difficult - unless you get a base-model version with no airbags (but even then this is questionable as the relevant legislation also states "you can't fit a bullbar to a vehicle if the bullbar would adversely affect the performance of any frontal impact protection features (eg airbags or crumple zones)." and the crumple zone would most likely be deemed as 'affected').
Sources:https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/22/bullbars.html
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/rules/frontal-impact-2001-index.html
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/classes-standards/class.html

Hope this helps, or at least makes for an interesting read.

That's some good research there, KF.

I haven't looked at the sources, but you have certainly explained things clearly.

Over here, the legislation and plethora of (sometimes conflicting) regulations and standards make it all but impossible to adequately assess what the position is with regard to most things.

My touchstone is whether my comprehensive insurer is OK with it, and puts it in writing on the policy document (which they send me a new copy of).

Hey KF, I'm just wondering if the BG Outbacks are classed as MC vehicles? I cant find any specs regarding approach, breakaway, departure angles but surely it fits the requirements?

Also, seeing as a GC-GF Impreza would not be classed as MC, could I lift it on BG OB or SF-SG foz running gear, and cert it as MC class?

Basing my questions off this link here https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/classes-standards/class.html#ma

AFAIC if the glove fits..... :poke:

Cheers

Sorry for reviving an old thread.

I noticed that my SG is classified as MA but the SH is classified as MC. Both pass the requirements of MC except for the approach angle which need to be at least 28 degrees. My Forester as 22 degrees from stock while the SH has 25 degrees.

I wonder if these classes are subjective during compliance. What if they had been processing a lot of Cross Sport models and when they see another SG, they just assume that they are of the same class?

I called the compliance center and check with them about the MA vs MC class issue and they said that my vehicle has the correct class. I asked them about another SG which has an MC class and they said that the NZ new ones are categorised as MC while the JDM Foresters are MA.

I think they generalised the JDM ones as MA as we have more lowered imports than standard height ones. The Cross Sport models are very popular and they are about 15 to 20mm lower than stock.

I just told myself, "Welp!"

Yes. Most JDM ones have a slightly higher trim than NZDM ones. The JDM have the more aggressive SportShift 4EAT, where it holds the gear even down to 1400rpm, while the NZDM ones have soupier shifting and gate shift.

The JDM SG Cross Sports, which may be the reason why JDM SGs are classed as MA due to their lower factory stance, even have the factory liquid resistant bucket seats.

Very interesting! I wish we had JDM Foresters here though. Or even better, the Gravel Express WRX :lildevil:

What is the gravel express wrx? Sounds interesting.

Found it on the net - just an old Impreza with a bit of a lift. I'm disappointed. I was hoping it might be a tougher Foz.

It is. It's this one https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/us...01.htm?rsqid=31d0c09477c84c6795bb4dd1af26349d. This is a 4EAT though but most imports come with a manual gearbox.

Even though it's classified as MA, the bull bar and the rear tailgate are from factory so they do not have problems with compliance and WoFs.

It's a pity they didn't make the same version in a Foz. Will the front and rear bars adapt to a Forester? If you could get a dead one and use it for parts that would be interesting. Does it have under body armour?

The JDM have the more aggressive SportShift 4EAT, where it holds the gear even down to 1400rpm, while the NZDM ones have soupier shifting and gate shift.

The sports shift would be the much better VTD auto, while the NZDM is the same as most AUDM with the MPT auto

The JDM SG Cross Sports, which may be the reason why JDM SGs are classed as MA due to their lower factory stance, even have the factory liquid resistant bucket seats.

Never heard of a Cross Sports. So many cool JDM stuff we don't get

What is the gravel express wrx? Sounds interesting.

Found it on the net - just an old Impreza with a bit of a lift. I'm disappointed. I was hoping it might be a tougher Foz.

Dude...it's the holy grail of Subaru JDM! Lol. It's the only Subaru ever made with a factory rear spare tyre carrier. For anyone running larger tyres, we either stick the spare on the roof or on an aftermarket tyre carrier which is heavy & not designed for our Subies so they don't fit very well. Or you make your own (some people have done a nice job, others hurt my eyes lol). Or you can pay mega $$$ to have one made.

The Gravel Express tyre carrier is beautifully made, has a very nice locking mechanism & tucks in behind the tailgate perfectly.

The Gravel Express is also the only Subaru with a factory bullbar. I'm sure it also has a few other cool JDM bits like electronically folding mirrors, heated seats (this is from the 90s remember), perhaps heated mirrors, maybe performance upgrades.

Attachments

• img_1.jpg
    img_1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1
If anyone in New Zealand was able to find a Gravel Express rear tyre carrier on one being wrecked, I would be so grateful if you could ship it over to me. I would be happy to pay any costs involved plus something for your effort...

Reverse engineering or for personal use?

Sure, [MENTION=2617]NachaLuva[/MENTION], I will keep an eye. I will also check the local forum. That's where I got the Gravel Express sump guard from. Cheers.

Many thanks [MENTION=15881]ABFoz[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15623]Ben Up North[/MENTION] for personal use. I already have a towbar mounted carrier to reverse engineer

Back