• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

05 Forester lift & sls conversion.

vanNek

Forum Member
Hi all, long time reader first time poster, I am about to put Sachs shocks all round & dobinson lifted front springs (extra load version, I have a QLD bull bars front bar), but I have an XS so I have self leveling rear. My question is, when I do the conversion will I end up with and lift in the rear? I'm aim for 1".

Gidday vN

A warm :welcome: to the ORS forum, mate.

I can't answer your question/s, but someone will ... :iconwink: :biggrin:.

It helps others to help you if you put your (approximate) location in your user profile ... :).

Gidday vN

A warm :welcome: to the ORS forum, mate.

I can't answer your question/s, but someone will ... :iconwink: :biggrin:.

It helps others to help you if you put your (approximate) location in your user profile ... :).

Cheers have updated that. I'm in Toowoomba Queensland. But yeah just need to work this out.
As on of my parts suppliers is saying the conversion with the raised springs just gets it to standard height. The other reckons normal strut with raised spring a should be raised... So I'm no sure....

G'day again vN

There have been plenty of threads and posts here about the ways, means and outcomes of lift/springs plus the SG self-levelling rear struts. Do a search for "self-levelling rear struts", should turn up heaps of stuff.

And I am sure that someone will come along here shortly and answer your question/s. People here are very responsive to this kind of query IME.

I went to school for 4 years in Toowoomba, and Roo2 has a Wippels Toowoomba sticker on its rear window ... ;)

G'day again vN

There have been plenty of threads and posts here about the ways, means and outcomes of lift/springs plus the SG self-levelling rear struts. Do a search for "self-levelling rear struts", should turn up heaps of stuff.

And I am sure that someone will come along here shortly and answer your question/s. People here are very responsive to this kind of query IME.

I went to school for 4 years in Toowoomba, and Roo2 has a Wippels Toowoomba sticker on its rear window ... ;)

Haha yeah ok, I work for Advanced service centre my boss' used to run wippells workshops, then left & went out on their own.

G'day vanNek & :welcome: to ORS.

If you're putting lifted springs in, you'll have to change the rear (self leveling) struts aswell, as the self leveling are not compatible with the lifted springs.

If you keep the original front struts & put raised springs in, the front will be raised.
Also & as I said above, you'll have to swap out the self leveling rears.
Then, with std struts in the rear (non self leveling) & raised springs in the rear, the back will be raised also.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Mr Turbo

G'day vanNek & :welcome: to ORS.

If you're putting lifted springs in, you'll have to change the rear (self leveling) struts aswell, as the self leveling are not compatible with the lifted springs.

If you keep the original front struts & put raised springs in, the front will be raised.
Also & as I said above, you'll have to swap out the self leveling rears.
Then, with std struts in the rear (non self leveling) & raised springs in the rear, the back will be raised also.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Thank you Mr. Turbo, you confirmed exactly what I needed to know. It's just of the for the conversions Bursons say you must use the raised rear king springs...

My parts list is as follows:

4 x Sachs shocks (all standards)
2 x Dobinson 30mm(the ones that say 40-80kg of accessories) springs to deal with the front bar
2 x king springs raised rear.
4 x Mastercraft LSR tyres
Wheel alignment and anything else needed (def needs sway bar links & "d" bushs"

I just hope I stay comfortable 500km a week on back roads sucks donkey!

Last edited:
Welcome vanNek, I have two Foresters with Qld Bullbars. Great bar very solid, but they don't weigh that much. When you fit this bar you remove the centre X member which probably weighs as much as the bar. There was no change in height when I fitted the bar to the front of the car. If you are going to fit raised springs all around why would not you fit Kings to all four corners? You will end up with around 30 mm lift all round.

Thanks Havachat, I did know you remove the front tie rail, but mine just seemed to dive a lot under brakes with it on. Perhaps just the old suspension not likening the change.

I know im probably a bit late to help mate but i have a gen4 outback with self levelers in the back. I raised mine and had to change the rear shocks over, 4x king springs to match.
Worked out good, though a tad dissapointed i only got just over 1.6 inch lift out of it.

4 x Sachs shocks (all standards)
2 x Dobinson 30mm(the ones that say 40-80kg of accessories) springs to deal with the front bar
2 x king springs raised rear.
4 x Mastercraft LSR tyres

As MrT stated, with this it will be raised front & rear.

Wheel alignment and anything else needed (def needs sway bar links & "d" bushs"

One more thing, with the wheels on the ground, release then retighten the nut on the front control arm rear bush. This releases the tension the raised springs put on the bush so it wont crap out :iconwink:

So lifts in, I wish I could have gone 2". And also wish I had of gone the slightly taller 34mm dobinson front springs, but then again maybe not. Haha.

Also have 4 master craft LSR in 215/60R16, see how they go

Back