Tyre Deflators

NachaLuva

Product Developer
I just bought a set of tyre deflators similar to the Staun brand:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220879431742?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Seem good enough but as with them all only go up to 30PSI :neutral:

Then today I found these:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290654480799?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

They go up to 40PSI so I could have one set to 36PSI so at the end of a trip when I air back up I could air up to say 40 then using the deflator go down to 36PSI (36 hot = ~34 cold). Accurate, quick & easy :biggrin:

What do others think?

Gidday NL

Why not just adjust your existing set to various working pressures?

After all, how many tyre valve caps do you want in your hand at any one time?

When re-inflating, just take the pressure up to what you want. Saves the problems associated with deflating a hot tyre.

Why I say this is that I reset my pressures yesterday at my usual servo after that dodgy air gauge at the servo on Wednesday. I checked them again today at my usual servo, and they were all about 1~2 psi too high.
Seems that the gross over-inflation followed by the very significant adjustment caused an inaccuracy all by itself ...

BTW, in both cases the tyres were cool, having driven only the 1.6 kms to our usual servo in each case since the previous evening. Ambient temperature is about the same today as yesterday.

They go up to 40PSI so I could have one set to 36PSI so at the end of a trip when I air back up I could air up to say 40 then using the deflator go down to 36PSI (36 hot = ~34 cold). Accurate, quick & easy :biggrin:

What do others think?
Sounds like you're giving yourself extra work (when airing back up) thats not really needed.
Each to their own though, & this is only my opinion:iconwink:

When I air down, I take a mental not of how much I take out of each tyre which is/should be about the same.
For example from 37psi down to 27psi = 10psi.

Then when I air back up, I put that same amount (say 10psi) back in & check what the pressure is. Sometimes it will be a little higher than what it was, before I aired down, at the start of the trip. But you have to take into account that the tyres are usually warm when this is done.

You'll find that when you next check the cold tyre temps (which is when they should be checked) they'll be spot on :)

I have done it this way on many an occasion & it hasn't failed me yet :ebiggrin:

Just my 2 cents worth

Regards
Mr Turbo

Thanks Mr.T, it seems you have a little more experience at it than me lol. I've noticed I tend to fumble a bit airing back up, I dont put enough in when I move the compressor onto the next tyre so when I check it I have to go put some more air in. I just thought this might be an easy way to do it till I'm better skilled. & I thought I only had to worry bout my driving skills lol ;)

G'Day Nacha, I had a little play around with the staun rip offs last weekend with Taza and neither of us could get them to deflate to a predetermined pressure (although I guess it could have been operator error). I hope your set are better. Sometimes the old eBay can be a curse. I've spent hundreds on shoddy Chinese rip off crap that doesn't work. on the other hand I've scored some great gear on the cheap.

I've always just counted the number of elephants I let out.

Best of luck

Gidday Seanan

G'Day Nacha, I had a little play around with the staun rip offs last weekend with Taza and neither of us could get them to deflate to a predetermined pressure (although I guess it could have been operator error). I hope your set are better. Sometimes the old eBay can be a curse. I've spent hundreds on shoddy Chinese rip off crap that doesn't work. on the other hand I've scored some great gear on the cheap.

I've always just counted the number of elephants I let out.

Best of luck

I just ordered a set of these earlier today ...
Will report back with my experience with them.

Also ordered a compressor https://www.princess-trade.com.au/c...ngle-cyclinder-heavy-duty-air-compressor.html

Still looking for a decent metal handled tyre repair kit ...

I prefer my tyre gauge with built in deflator.
Just let each one down until at 18psi, or whatever I want.
Use the gauge to check levels when airing up.
I can't see the point of the Stauns, etc, as they take constant effort to keep set, and just something else to get damaged / have stolen.

Still looking for a decent metal handled tyre repair kit ...
Yes they are very handy to have & I'm glad to hear you say a metal handled one too :ebiggrin:
The plastic handled ones can break, thus potentially causing you a nasty injury :bcool:
Trust me I've been there & done that :redface:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Gidday Mr T

Yes they are very handy to have & I'm glad to hear you say a metal handled one too :ebiggrin:
The plastic handled ones can break, thus potentially causing you a nasty injury :bcool:
Trust me I've been there & done that :redface:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Yeah, I thought it was you.

If I have an injury like that it will involve a quick trip to a hospital to have it repaired, otherwise the Warfarin will obligingly allow it to keep bleeding for a long time ...

Warfarin for artificial valves is pretty dangerous stuff. The death rate from the Warfarin treatment alone is of the order of 1,700/100,000 p.a; 1.7%. Do the compound interest sum on that, and it gets quite scary! But hey, it keeps me alive ...

Where did you get yours? And approx. how much?

What I thought was a metal one at SCA Parts turned out to be plastic ...

I prefer my tyre gauge with built in deflator.
Just let each one down until at 18psi, or whatever I want.
Use the gauge to check levels when airing up.
I can't see the point of the Stauns, etc, as they take constant effort to keep set, and just something else to get damaged / have stolen.

what brand do you recommend?
there's heaps out there and I'm sure like tyre gauges many will be inaccurate

I have a 'Dr Air' from SupaCheap.

I have always found it accurate.

It lives in my drivers door pocket, with the 'snake bite kit', as they are the two bits of equipment that aren't much use unless close at hand at short notice.

It lives in my drivers door pocket, with the 'snake bite kit', as they are the two bits of equipment that aren't much use unless close at hand at short notice.

Could you detail the snake bite kit in your list of recovery gear? :poke:
Its not car recovery but it is "people recovery" lol. The thread doesnt state only car recovery haha ;)

I reckon its probably one of the more important things to include when travelling our snake/spider infested (lol) country :rolleyessarcastic:

Could you detail the snake bite kit in your list of recovery gear? :poke:
Its not car recovery but it is "people recovery" lol. The thread doesnt state only car recovery haha ;)

I reckon its probably one of the more important things to include when travelling our snake/spider infested (lol) country :rolleyessarcastic:

It is pretty much just a wide elastic bandage and a sling in a bright red vinyl pouch that slips onto my belt.

I picked it up at a snake handlingdisplay at the Melb Agricultural Show a couple of years ago. I think it has some contact details on it, will have a look and post here if I can find any.

Where did you get yours? And approx. how much?
I was very lucky when I got mine. It was one of those situations of being in the right place at the right time :monkeydance::discomonkey:
I stumbled across mine at the markets one day & picked it up for about $22-$23 or so. Bargain of the century I say :woohoo:
You should be able to get them from the 4WD shops. They're not cheap though. Usually they retail for anything from $50-$75 or thereabouts.
They do pop up on e-bay occasionally though :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

G'day again Mr T

I was very lucky when I got mine. It was one of those situations of being in the right place at the right time :monkeydance::discomonkey:
I stumbled across mine at the markets one day & picked it up for about $22-$23 or so. Bargain of the century I say :woohoo:
You should be able to get them from the 4WD shops. They're not cheap though. Usually they retail for anything from $50-$75 or thereabouts.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Good catch mate.

Not extremely high on my list of priorities ATM.

Had to practically bludgeon Telstra into delivering their top of the range mobile to me by Thursday. They were quoting 5~8 days delivery ...
Not one of the Melbourne outlets stock their top phone ...

Most of the day on the phone to them ... grrr.
It will take at least a couple of days to convert/restore my data to a different type of device. At least I had a backup from that morning. Have had to print a few of my databases so that I have access to them.

The rest of the day mostly taken up with delivering/retrieving Roo2 from Ross' establishment.

How can such simple things cause so much waste of time :shrug:?

Sorry to hear about your staff problems. We all have days like that, I guess. If someone hasn't, they have either led a charmed life ... or have not lived long enough yet.

How can such simple things cause so much waste of time :shrug:?
As they say, technology is wonderful :Bananacomputer: until it breaks down :sadbanana:

Sorry to hear about your staff problems. We all have days like that, I guess.
Thanks mate :) But hey, you just have to take the good with the bad :iconwink:

I have to admit though, it is good & I am lucky to have a fulltime job :ebiggrin: So I can't/shouldn't really complain too much I suppose ;)

Regards
Mr Turbo

G'day again Mr T

Regards
Mr Turbo

Just bought a metal handled set here:
https://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220932617092

$44, including P&H.

There are a few sets left.

Back