shanditalia458

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Legacy L
Transmission
4EAT
Good day,

Does anyone happen to know if a 15 inch outback rim with a set of 205/70R15 Yokohama Geolandars will fit a 1996 Legacy wagon WITHOUT any fender Mods?

Or better yet, does anyone know the LARGEST rim/tire combo for the car stated above?

Any/all advice is appreciated!

What's stock on these ?

'99- outbacks are 215/60R16 stock = 664mm diameter
205/70R15 = 668mm

4mm difference is neither here nor there

I currently run 225/60R16 = 677mm with no problems.

Make sure your 15" rims clear the brakes.

Stock for me is a 14 inch rim with 185/70R14 tire. So you are saying it will work?

I dunno

185/70R14 = 185 * 0.7 * 2 + 25.4*14 = 615mm diameter

Does it look like you can fit another 50mm diameter (inch all round) and 10mm either side in width in there?

14" is stock on the low end models, 15" is stock on others. But it's not the guards that are the issue it's the rear spring perch. Pretty sure 205/70/15 will fit.

DuncanM, it does look like it will fit, just a bit tight. I am planning on Outback struts on all 4 corners, so that should move the lower spring perch out of the way and remove it from the list of worries.

NachaLuva, I am not challenging your knowledge, but it is odd you should say that. I have the L package with almost all the optional bells and whistles. However, I am aware that the LS, LSI, and GT are even higher-end, so in that regard it doesn't surprise me.

Also thanks for the input. That is one more question answered. Just to confirm, once the Outback struts are on, that will move the lower spring perch up and out of the way, won't it? I mean, that IS how the Outback sits higher if I understand correctly.

I have a 97 Legacy Sedan on 98 Legacy Outback springs/struts. I have the Forester 16" mud catchers on 225/60 with a bit of room to spare.

Wow this is really good to hear. I took a look yesterday and it definitely looks like another inch will fit. Not sure about the new width though, which leads me to this question:

My current wheels are the garden variety 14x5.5 steelies with 55mm offset. The wheel I want my Geolandars mounted on is the 1st gen Forester wheel (15x6 with 48mm offset) My question is will that new offset have any negative effects on the car AND will the tire still clear the fender?

Back