Forester vs Rav4

G'day again Thunder

Don't get me wrong - 'traditional 4WDs' certainly have their place for all sorts of purposes.

However, for my uses even my old Impreza would have been more than adequate if it had been in a more appropriate body, with better clearance.

I no longer have the slightest need for a heavy duty 4WD vehicle as I did between 30~40 years ago. My current needs are very well served by Roo2.

For me Forester its not only good AWD system
I like offroading and camping , but i cant afford it each week.
So Forester its not only outdoor car its commuter for my wife
When i was making my choice i was thinking about 4Runner or truly another 4X4 , but the only problem that i dont want use big SUV for commuting. Buy big SUV for once/twice a month offroading trips and 90% of time using as commuter make no sense
From other side Forester perfect intown car and when i need to go camping or ofrroad it has beeter than other competitors AWD system that will serve me very well on my trails
Rav4 good car CRV good car Sportage good car , but Forester not only car , this car has
something behind, Forester has carachter and image , hidden abilitys , possibility for modifications (try to find skid plates/lift jits for 2008-2012 sportage or CRV , nobody doing that but for subaru yes, why? because subie is subie and all others just crossovers)
and one video worth more that 1000 words
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_MXK2nzt2Y"]Subaru AWD Uphill Comparison Test - YouTube[/ame]

Trying to compare a forester with a rav 4 is just plain ridiculous, the rav 4 was never designed to leave the tarmac, In the early models they made this extremely apparent by running the exhaust pipe very low under the rear diff as you can see in this photo

TOYOTA-RAV-4-4x4--2003-2006-.jpg

and on the 2 door they had a hole cut in the front bash plate so that the headers had room, yes the exhaust pipe directly attached to the engine would be hit before any other part of the car on an incline. The rear section generally got pancaked anytime you went over rocks or up the beach or generally did anything resembling off road work.

I have a complete lack of faith in toyotas ability to make an offroad vehicle, they copy everyone elses systems and then say they are the inovators. They make fantastic and reliable appliances to get you to and from your destination, but they have no personality.
The reason they have more accessories avaliable than everone else is because they need them.

Plus at the end of the day, value for money subaru wins hands down

They make fantastic and reliable appliances to get you to and from your destination, but they have no personality
100% agree
and no that reliable and not that fantastic anymore :
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWzAEPZ760k"]Jetta versus Corolla Chico Volkswagen - YouTube[/ame]

In general Toyota was overpriced for last 7 years
I don nderstand why i need to pay 20-30% more for as on dealership salesman told me :
"...its Toyota man and you know what i mean ..."
NO I DONT KNOW!

Toyota were very smart back in the begining because for every car they brought into a country they had 3 cars worth of spares where as companies like land rover made you work to land rovers time line, then toyota made their reputation on things like the 60 series land cruisers and lets face it no one gave a stuff about the price of fuel back then :lol:. Then the early model hiluxs were an amazing machine, they just didnt die no matter what you did to them (top gear proved that point).
After they had their proven reliability and success they then started cutting corners and started using thinner steel for the chassis, lighter duty diffs, In the late 90's early 00's there was a run of Hiluxs snapping in half, a little too thin methinks :rotfl:. but they kept their advertising campaign up and still managed to keep their stronghold on the patrons espcially in Australia and we have John Laws to thank for that. Now they produce the most horrible 4wds on the market, they copy all other companies designs poorly then state its their own. I have driven a stock standard hilux down a dirt road that I would run any other vehicle at 100kmh and scared the crap out of myself at 80kmh (I am talking within the same day or the next day, I had driven 3 different cars down this road, A V6 dual cab rodeo, a commodore ute and a Land Rover Discovery, and 100 - 120kmh was comfortable in all other vehicles), most people who buy them and say how great they are offroad have allready spent $20000 upgrading the suspension to go offroad to do what a Land Rover can do off the showroom floor. Too be honest I do not understand why people keep buying them in bulk because they continually win the most expensive car to operate per week out of any car on Australian roads.
I would buy a Mahindra before I bought a Toyota, it may be ugly but I reckon I would get back :iconwink:

Overall my '97 Camry V6 is a better car than my 07 Forester XT - more comfortable, more reliable, more economical and just a more relaxing car to travel in. When they are both dead and buried it is the Camry that will leave me with fonder memories.It makes me feel like Toyota knows more about car design and manufacture than Subaru.

Comparing a car to a 4wd makes the argument mute, I find camrys more comfortable and economical than a land rover defender, but do you find a rav4 more comfortable than your forester and more economical?

I have clearly stated in all my info "Toyota 4wd"

Any 4wd which needs a cut-out in the mud flap for the exhaust pipe has clearly had only minimal thought given to design! :rotfl:

Overall my '97 Camry V6 is a better car than my 07 Forester XT - more comfortable, more reliable, more economical and just a more relaxing car to travel in. When they are both dead and buried it is the Camry that will leave me with fonder memories.It makes me feel like Toyota knows more about car design and manufacture than Subaru.

Camry VS Forester .... hmm they are from different classes...
But talking about comfort My 2012 Forester more comfortable for me than 2007 Camry ...

Back