Gen 4 OB Skid Plates?

SirEdwardthe4th

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Outback
Transmission
Manual
Hey, I was looking into some skid plates for my 2011 outback premium 2.5i (6sp MT) and I wanted to know what you guys think I should get and what works well. Primitive makes some good looking ones at 3/16" but some forums said you should not have less than 1/4" and the primitive ones aren't very good and bend easily, but are good for gravel. My intention isnt to do a lot of trailblazing with it (its typically a city DD) but if I did id like some protection.

Another concern is are skid plates typically made to push big rocks under them or could they get caught and it might rip off (plate, bolts, and all)? Would large rocks just stop the car from going forward?

G'day & Welcome SE4th

Primitive seem to have a good reputation - I don't know what else is available to you locally.

Typically the plates will "skid" over rocks, hence the name, and are designed to not get caught.

I have complained of the Primitive's impact on clearance but realistically you do not have any better options. They are all 3/16 aluminum and they all can break if you crash atop of a rock.

I would not worry on forest roads or a beach. I have not been able to break them in Utah, Co, and Az so they are not that awful. I have a bent corner in the front one and I bent the rear diff plate nicely but the latter was because I flew through a mud hole way too fast.

Primitive is fine. The middle one fully protects the cats so that's good.

Realistically, if you really need more, you just need something more than a Subaru in the first place.

Back