This is one way to do it - EJ22 conversion

El_Freddo

Forum Member
Car Year
1988, 1990
Car Model
EJ22'd L series; Targa Brumby
Transmission
Locking FT4wd 5spd Manual, 4.111:1 diff w 1.59:1 low range & front OBX LSD ;)
G’day all,

Well I’ve been collecting parts again and doing some tinkering recently. About a decade ago (that’s scary!) a mate gave me two EJ Gen1 looms. One was cut down a shoved into Ruby Scoo and it’s still going well today!

The second loom was cut down over a couple of nights after dinner, the weekend after that was done I put all my pieces together to do a “bench” test:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vBXrmIzWiZY&feature=youtu.be

As you can see I don’t have a donor vehicle. If I did the bench test would’ve been so much easier as I’d be doing this in with the engine still in the vehicle. But it’s not the first time I’ve done it this way!

This loom cutdown checked out. The engine start up checked out - no bottom end knock, and on the second test day a week later there was no lifter tick either :D The test did show a blown head gasket but I’ve already planned to swap this out so no big deal there. Now that I know there’s no bottom end issue I’ll continue on with the planned maintenance before this engine finds its home.

I’ve still got a couple of things to get that were borrowed from Ruby Scoo and other project vehicles. These will come soon to complete the kit ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Good way of testing an engine !

You could maybe change the valve tail seals as they are probably toasted, seems that the EJ22 is prone to leak/burn oil from there.

It sounds great!

Thanks Kevin - no muffler ;)

Good way of testing an engine !

You could maybe change the valve tail seals as they are probably toasted, seems that the EJ22 is prone to leak/burn oil from there.

I might look into this. Will mean more work that I really don’t want to do though. That could explain my oil use on Ruby Scoo...

And the lifter noise disappeared when I started it a week later :D

Cheers

Bennie

How cool is that !!
Not the first time you’ve bench tested an engine you Subaru wizard you lol

Will be keen to see your progress mate

Cheers

1WD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A dak-dak! with the right sort of hole in a volksie exhaust, it sounds a bit like a harley..

That’s what happens when you piece it together with a pile of parts you’ve got laying around! No mufflers...

It’s not very VW [MENTION=1208]Dulagarl[/MENTION]! Unless you’re talking about the exhaust leaks.

Cheers

Bennie

Back