TorqMaster R160 rear lunchbox locker

Saying around 400USD. Well within many Subaru owners budgets. But I'd like to see one driven onroad in person before I buy one as handling is questionable.

Looks good as a fancy drawing. Anything solid yet?

And what’s the difference between the “one bolt” and the “five bolt” units?

Cheers

Bennie

And what’s the difference between the “one bolt” and the “five bolt” units?

Cheers

Bennie

I think its the difference between the two r160s. The most common one has 5 bolt flanges on each side holding the differential center and the other one is built on the same principle as the front differential with just 1 bolt maintaning the threaded flanges on each side.

Last edited:
i would love to know the method how they provide locking mechanism. I am confused on some of the post online.

My understanding is that the locking mechanism is really a simple ratchet. The lock is always engaged but the ratchet system allows for the differential to function normally when turning corners. This results in a clicking noise from the unit as the ratchet operates. The research I have done indicates it is very effective and reliable but is a bit unpredictable in its on/off status so not recommended for on-road use as a locking front diff. As a rear diff it works fine.

This will definitely be needing feathering of the accelerator pedal when on road. The ratcheting sound will definitely be felt and heard on the road. This will be beneficial to somebody who does around 70% off-road or somebody living near places which demand diagonals most of the time.

If we can get the specs of the load springs, or even choose spring load, we can have something that is open until a reasonable amount of torque is applied. The design of the lobes will also the noise. It would be very interesting how they will design such a locker for a very street-friendly system.

Here is a link to those who need more info about lunchbox lockers: https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/...ead-to-head-lunchbox-drop-in-locker-shootout/.

My experience with them is just second hand as I've always used on-demand lockers in my previous 4x4s. Cheers.

As [MENTION=145]El_Freddo[/MENTION] knows, a lunchbox locker has already been done for Subarus. One was in the back of a near stock MY wagon that was extremely capable offroad with only a 2" lift. It was then sold to go in the back of the Brumby Runner

There are others with them in Foresters, so we know AWD is fine with them.

Such a pity the Aussie manufacturer missed the boat on this one, they've missed out on 100s of sales!

As far as price goes, I'm waiting to hear back from TorqMasters, I may set up a dealer account with them to become the Aussie distributor. Hoping for it to be around $550 AUD plus local postage

I can't get the link to the individual post, but here's the link to TorqMasters. They've just posted the R160 locker

https://www.facebook.com/TorqMaster...lPE7Id4fFPA0soAuZ_ZUeX_uPZzRA&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARAeRizM6mAyM2vuQYkUxpK88bd3jPBOOejJG1ApnaGr_naUSHTIsYpg3fOE4qaK3ZJbMqdtjjL8c9H33XghG7vHDy4_3sV4CmsLVxhhF2uHeY8WuH0KPaBxvD0eJHX_XuHUFtJCMgLwKru-jt_JfAJWPQsB95vQ-AK242ntzxDfKv4iq-snhIioRBoQNzQnug1etZRkCza2JHOjQzN8EBWA4t4QH_eozDFdVu6upxH48SOSw1PfRCrUc8mS3c19xkrEQLIrxWIRFiVv-tobyHrMVZo6JjvdFPWWEjlBZSXiFutPNPBJAYyopYklerGmIPCePGqRAmDo_wrlIRlKx5eFmQ

This lunchbox locker is very good news for all of us offroading our Subarus ! Even if Rally and Dedman opened the path with real lockers, it will be easier to install a lunchbox and at a lower price without needing to be a super mechanic.

But one question remains....the center differential on the 5MT is too weak and will need to be upgraded as well.

there is a russian made torsen type rear diff unit advertised on ebay for the same money. claimed 70% lock up. sounds good to me as a fail safe to snapping shafts on the trails.

For newbie like me, :) check out 21:36 on this video to know about this type of locker from TM.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x40WGUtdaLI"]Differential Locker Comparison (ARB / Eaton / Ox / Yukon) - Filthy Motorsports - YouTube[/ame].

While waiting for the test from power of your brains youtube, i am wondering the pro/con for this on the rear and with CVT models.

Back