DIY snorkel

jason tincey

Forum Member
Subaru Forester Snorkel Write up.
Would like apologise in advance as some pics are blurry and my English is pretty average and some parts don’t make much sense.

Bits that you will need. Tools
Power drill
Drill set
jigsaw
Socket set
Spanner set
Screw driver set
Rivet gun
Hack saw
scissors
Others that I can’t think of

80mm pvc pipe 2m
$25.30
Socket/coupling things x 2
$6.00
Rivets
$4.70
80mm 45 degree elbow x 2
$6.25
Make your own bracket material
$2.30
Bolts, washers and nuts
$6.00
Good quality paint
$11.99
Rubber
$10.00
Snorkel head
$55.00
1m of 76mm flexi hose
$40.00
House clamps x2
$13.46

total
$181.00

Firstly measure up and cut the PVC pipe to desired length. Then use PVC cement to glue them into the 45 degree elbow. Then put the second 45 degree elbow on the top of the pipe and just hold the snorkel head on top so you can see what angle the elbow has to be at, once this is found out glue the elbow into place.
picture.php

Last edited:
Now this is where the coupling/socket things come into use, because I used 80mm pipe and the snorkel head and flexi hose is 76mm I found these coupling things at Bunnings, the thinner bit of the coupling fits inside the 80mm pipe and then the snorkel head and flexi pipe fit over the top. Cut along the dotted line. Then place and glue the smaller piece into each end making sure that half of it sicks out.
picture.php

picture.php

Tape up area on fender where hole is going to be and mark out where you want to hole in your fender to be.
picture.php

Now I painted the snorkel.
picture.php

I had already cut away most off the stock intake piping stuff for my old pod filter but I left this section closest to the filter box as it has a section that goes down to allow water go into, for the snorkel purpose I silicone it all up so water can’t get in.
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
Now comes the fun bit, the hole in the side of the car. I didn’t have a big enough hole saw so I just used a jigsaw. Make sure that this is exactly where you want it and that you really want to have a snorkel as this is the point of no return.

Measure up and drill the holes in the bit of the snorkel that is attached to the fender.

Using the bracket maker make two brackets that fit in pre existing holes in the window frame.
picture.php
picture.php

Pull the flexi pipe through the fire wall and out the fender.
picture.php

attach the snorkel head.
picture.php

picture.php
Attach the bottom of the snorkel to the fender so that you can measure up where to attach the brackets that were made before. This is a good time to see what it’s all going to look like. This was also when I started hitting problems and now I have 4 holes in the side of my fender that aren’t being used ( poor planning and measuring) haha.

I riveted on the brackets as I couldn’t get into the pipe to tighten bolts, rivets are strong though should be good.
picture.php

Now you are ready to attach the snorkel, I riveted the snorkel to the fenders as well as it was a lot easier and again I couldn’t reach down far enough to tighten bolt. I used the biggest rivets that I could with the rivet gun; it appears to be in place good and strong. And now your finished.
picture.php

Just a few pics.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good Jason, :) well done.

The pannel cutting is a killer.
Did you notice any difference in engine performance or noise?

I can see the pics OK.

when i have my window down i can hear a bit of a noise but nothing major, wouldn't mind getting a KnN pannel filter though.
not sure about perfornace yet.

Sounds fascinating but I can't see any pics either. Could you post the full write-up please? Or PM me the full deal? I'd love to read more.

Well done!

I don't know what is going on with the pics, I'm seeing them fine.:confused:

Just tried something, hopefully your all seeing them now.

nope. still can't see 'em. just a thought i'm with optusnet and i know Damo is too and i read somewhere that their trialing a new filter. for those who cant see the pics, who's your ISP?

No, still can't see them. :sadbanana:

just a thought i'm with optusnet and i know Damo is too and i read somewhere that their trialing a new filter.
Hopefully you're right eden & we'll be able to see them soon, provided it's as you say, new filter trial etc.

We (eden, Rally, myself & possibly others) seem to have been down this road before. :madred:
Only time will tell I suppose :shrug:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Back