Josh

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Outback 2.5i
Transmission
Auto
Hi,

I'm buying a new UHF for my 2012 outback. One of the ones with the black box that you hide and plug in the hand piece with the controls on it.

I like the Uniden 8060, however the Uniden 8080 has a scanner feature for 100 extra channels where apparently you can listen in on emergency services radio, or have they all changed to digital?

Some people say they changed in 2015 so you can't listen?
If I can't listen, then I'll save money and buy the 8060.

Also, how does one use thier UHF for overtakes of a truck? How do you know what channel the truck driver is using?

thank you in advance

Also, how does one use thier UHF for overtakes of a truck? How do you know what channel the truck driver is using?

Truck drivers use channel 40. Cheers

Thanks guys for your responses, they're good links.
Anyone know if you can listen to the emergency services using the Uniden 8080?

On the website Uniden says: "Using Uniden's world recognised BearCat Scanning Technology, the UH8080NB can scan unencrypted analogue UHF Police/ Fire & Ambulance frequencies" however I've read that more recently the Emergency Services radio are now encrypted in the cities and in the country they use mid/high VHF. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

thanks.

We're pretty much all using digital radios now that require a digital scanner and the right decoding software to listen in to.

Will still pick up the vhf radios occasionally but that's usually only for trunking in black spots.

There's still streaming services you can get on your phone to listen to some services, can't remember exactly

OK, thanks very much IDW.
I went ahead and bought a lower model Uniden with a 6.6dB antenna to mount on the bullbar. Should run like the clakers.

Thanks for your responses.

I believed the Firies were the last emergency service to transition away from UHF but there a bushfire going on about 3 kms from me at the moment and my can't pick up any talk by scanning with my 80 channel UHF.

I've been eyeing the Bearcat units off for a while... Can anybody tell me if they actually pick anything up (that isn't standard UHF channels) or is everything encrypted these days? I like listening to things, can be interesting.

Cheers!

I'm down in Geelong in Victoria, I listen to CFA and AV statewide. Then I listen to VICPOL in country areas. I listen to them on a little Chinese radio a Baofeng UV5R, this is a portable programable dual band radio. (VHF/UHF) I have a scanner antenna mounted on the front guard of the subi with the cable tucked down beside the handbrake. Down here in VIC you will find most emergency services on VHF so you won't find to much on your UHF radios.

VICPOL - https://www.frequency.ws/emergency-services/victoria-police (COUNTRY AREA ONLY)
CFA - https://techtalkradio.com.au/cfa-radio-frequencies.php

Hi,

I'm buying a new UHF for my 2012 outback. One of the ones with the black box that you hide and plug in the hand piece with the controls on it.

I like the Uniden 8060, however the Uniden 8080 has a scanner feature for 100 extra channels where apparently you can listen in on emergency services radio, or have they all changed to digital?

Some people say they changed in 2015 so you can't listen?
If I can't listen, then I'll save money and buy the 8060.

thank you in advance

In Oz it depends on the State and police command region you are driving thru but in my experience Police and Ambo comms have been encrypted in most areas for some years now. Best bet is stick on the Highway Chn40 and listen to the chatter.

onebob

Back