Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > General Forums > General Forum

Notices

Unread 30th July 2018, 03:25 AM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
Insurance generally covers you only on actual roads. Many bush tracks are not roads and in those situations you are off road.
All insurance companies will cover you on any "gazetted road". Best way to think of it is if the road or track has a name, you're covered.

Many insurance companies will cover you anywhere. As Beachworm said, everyone should know what they are & aren't covered for

http://unsealed4x4.com.au/know-your-land-rights/
Unread 3rd October 2018, 03:56 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

another VDC test in sand
Unread 3rd October 2018, 07:03 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2005
Model: Forester XS
Transmission: 4EAT
ABFoz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalman View Post
another VDC test in sand
Subaru outback VDC in sand - YouTube

I think it did well. Getting out is not entirely as aggressive as something with a more mechanical system but it was still able to get out when needed.

It would be nice if we can get a collection of videos of different tests of stock and upgraded systems.
Unread 4th October 2018, 06:05 AM
Forum Member

well Rally's car is upgraded pretty much with CCD and even locker so that is like ultimate stuff.
what else would change things in better is long travel , some people did that too with custom coils and such , that give just way more drops so you have traction more time .
but in general im allways most curious what stock can do how it doing it why and when
Unread 7th October 2018, 08:17 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2005
Model: Forester XS
Transmission: 4EAT
ABFoz is on a distinguished road

Yes. It's amazing what you can do with these cars.

True. It's good to see what the stock ones can do, although, a good YouTube search will give us enough evidence and footage.
Unread 19th December 2018, 09:47 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2014 & 2016
Model: Forrester x 2
Transmission: CVT
johnmckee is on a distinguished road

I see a lot of older model vehicles doing more extreme off road, rather than newer generation (post 2014) models. Is this because the older Subaruís are more capable/tougher than the newer kit? Or is it simply because people donít want to damage the paint work / bend the body on a newer rig. Iíve done some minor damage to the rear plastic skirts brackets on my 2014 XT going over a rotten buried tree in the track, it formed a step but collapsed under weight. So a little wary now, although vechicle seems capable to go anywhere in Xmode?
Unread 19th December 2018, 11:01 AM
Forum Member

Because you cant just drive on any harder track with stock bumpers on those newer cars. some do that but not much rly.
i saw test of new forester and it tried to drive on very steel hill, car just stopped when it reached hill because it has some kind of adaptive safety that he sees obstacle in front and dont go ... i mean yes its safe but cmon.
old models are cheap and easy to mod or cut or even if you brake that bumper its nothing serious and easy to fix change it.
new cars as all test they do in videos they do test where bumpers dont meet any danger , so its not very off roady .

here pics taken from same video same hill old forry went first and new after it . old one was turbo , and was really low, no lift no nothing, but after couple tries it flyed up top, then new one cant go any further then there because bumpers.

so when bumpers was in my way i found easy solution for that
Unread 19th December 2018, 12:27 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmckee View Post
I see a lot of older model vehicles doing more extreme off road, rather than newer generation (post 2014) models. Is this because the older Subaruís are more capable/tougher than the newer kit? Or is it simply because people donít want to damage the paint work / bend the body on a newer rig. Iíve done some minor damage to the rear plastic skirts brackets on my 2014 XT going over a rotten buried tree in the track, it formed a step but collapsed under weight. So a little wary now, although vechicle seems capable to go anywhere in Xmode?
If you have seen my videos and others you will see the limitations of the electronic systems Subaru use. Especially when compared to a well modified earlier model. Standard against standard though itís much closer. If you want off road ability, spend the money on an older model and put some decent diffs and a sump guard on it, with suitable gearing
Unread 19th December 2018, 02:01 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmckee View Post
I see a lot of older model vehicles doing more extreme off road, rather than newer generation (post 2014) models. Is this because the older Subaru’s are more capable/tougher than the newer kit? Or is it simply because people don’t want to damage the paint work / bend the body on a newer rig. I’ve done some minor damage to the rear plastic skirts brackets on my 2014 XT going over a rotten buried tree in the track, it formed a step but collapsed under weight. So a little wary now, although vechicle seems capable to go anywhere in Xmode?

Stock for stock, the newer ones have better traction, the old ones have better size and wheelbase. The 2009-13 Forester had the best angles of any Subaru I know.

Definitely having a newer vehicle limits use. Not much with me, though I still feel bad about all the extensive custom pin-stripping I got on a 3 week old vehicle earlier this year, but it is a HUGE deal for most folks.

I had my 4Runner differential and transfer case fluids replaced and dealer said they barely ever see a brand new vehicle being actually used off-road. Lift kits, big tires, and trips to the mall? You bet!
Unread 19th December 2018, 03:18 PM
Forum Member

i did saw many russian videos where they test real 4wd cars sometimes they go together with some renault dusters or foresters but all times somewheone comes there with forester they are made for city they sits low and have turbo , so compare to that renault dusters looks like real offroaders with good angles. even though they just have 1.6 or 2.0 engines and no turbo, no low gears or locks, some duster have traction control that works similar to subaru using ABS , and on some videos i saw how duster with lift and mud tires just goes on pair with they YAZ Patriot , lada 4x4 or sherokees and land cruisers.

thats good angles over there, but they not comfy inside as subarus and dont sound good either. so it depends what you compare and what you need.
then there are Grand Sherokee ZJ's they pretty cheap , they cheaper then anything real 4wd out there and they so good off road. that red ZJ have no lkift but larger wheels with cut arches to fit them and rear locker there. and it goes like tank on all deep mud deep snow , sand, where others famous many time more expencive 4wds fails that ZJ just flies rly. just why you need anything else.

so older cars better off road same goes for cherokee's , subarus and some others. if its not hardcore offroad then newer cars can do it as well if have good enough angles and tires.