Understanding how to use the subaru AWD system

I dont understand that...the manual vLSD has a nominal 50/50 split varying from 60/40 to 40/60. That video you allude to where one wheel is on rollers so zero grip still wont send ALL the torque to the other wheels...some MUST go to that wheel or it wouldnt spin as it obviously does..."torque" meaning a turning force. Thats just my understanding of it.
Also, the viscous gel in the center LSD wont allow all the torque to go to just one axle (unless the gel fails). I thought a manual vLSD is always somewhere between 60/40 & 40/60, & its impossible to be outside that.

Whats your interpretation?

There is negligible torque in the driveshafts of the wheels on rollers. Ok, not quite 0, but very close to it.

I went through all this very extensively over the course of several posts in the sf.org thread so I'm going to ask you to read what I wrote there rather than go through it all here again. :iconwink:

Actually, I still think https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...tml#post688328 pretty much explains it. The thing to get you head around is the difference between the speed that the wheel is turning, and torque. The wheels on rollers may spin faster, but contribute basically nothing to actually moving the car, so will have very little (almost 0% of the) torque. The wheels with grip that are driving the car up the hill might not spin very fast, but they are the ones with as good as 100% of the torque.

Back