Transmission Delay

AngelOfDarkness

Forum Member
Has anyone had that issue where the shift between Reverse and Drive, I seem to have an issue where there is a lag you might say (as if it seemed likeif I had the clutch in, (this is an automatic transmission)), this wll result in me hitting the throttle and the tires spinning.

Only when cold for me. Check the trans fluid level (ask if you don't know how to do this) and also how long has it been since the fluid was changed.

I just bought the thing, and it doesn't show all the signs of low tranny fluid, also just bought the thing and the place we got it from does all that (they are a non bull **** company, my moms boss goes to get his car repaired by them for years, he goes out of his way to go there). When is the tranny dipstick located on a 1999 subaru outback (i only know where it is on dodge caravans...lol)

Find your engine oil dipstick - now look directly behind it towards the end of the engine about 12" from the firewall. It's top should be yellow and it's down lower than the engine oil dipstick so not as obvious.

It's best to check with warm transmission - and the engine should be running. With the hand/e brake on, run through each gear and back into "P". Now check the oil.

I have it bad in my 2000. Only from "P" to "Drive", never in reverse. I have sat as long as 5 minutes. I found putting my foot on the brake and giving it a bit of gas seems to engage it. It at least stops the car from lurching forward when the gas it applied. It's a very bothersome quirk. Also dangerous when you back out onto a road and need to get out of the way. I will certainly follow this thread.

yeah I know how to check tranny fluid, and mine is a 99, but it's just a slplit second i'll check those links tomorrow (have alot of work to do) nipper see what they can tell me, also call the guys I got my car from since it's still under warranty (3 years)

Back