HD Video Cameras

NachaLuva

Product Developer
OK, so everyones seen the very impressive GoPro HD Camera, whether its mounted on a mountain bike's handlebars as his mate gets totalled by a moose :rotfl: or on a surfboard riding Teahupoo or Pipeline :eek: , or on a Subie doing river crossings or flying around a rally course :monkeydance:

These cameras are so good you can connect 2 together for 3D!! :lildevil:

They shoot HD vid, depending on which one you get shoots 1080p at 60fps, 720p@120fps or the $320 version at Autobarn, 1080p@30fps or 720p@60fps.
GoPro HERO3 Specs

They are also very expensive! Even 2nd hand ones on eBay go for $200!! :( I've seen the new GoPro Hero3 for over $600 :shake:

A new competitor is the "HD Sports Camera by TechBrands", much MUCH cheaper at $120 at Autobarn. Its still HD, shoots 720p at I think 60fps, its nice & small so when mounted to your windscreen wont shake as much. But I'm not sure how good the vid will be compared with the all conquering GoPro.

Another option I saw is the Panasonic HM-TA20 , RRP $279. Again waterproof, shockproof HD video. Panasonic HM-TA20GN-D Orange - shoppingexpress.com.au has it for $120. The specs seem to be 1080p@30fps, 720p@30fps, but its expressed a little differently so I'm not sure.

I would really love to get some decent vids of some of the stuff I do. Gentle Annie would've been awesome!!:lildevil:
But I just cant afford a GoPro unless I find one that miraculously fell off a truck :iconwink::rotfl:

What are others' experiences? Are there any other options?

By all means, consider your other options. But bear in mind that you get what you pay for with the GoPro's. They are by far and away the best in every single way (apart from maybe sound).

I recent upgraded to the brand new GoPro Black Edition and initial impressions are very very good. Even clearer than before!

The advantage of the GoPro is the ease with which you can mount it anywhere externally on the vehicle. Don't buy a mere dash cam for off roading. You will be dissapointed. Those big holes in the road won't look like much on the video.

With a GoPro, you can easily mount it anywhere externally on the vehicle and I even have GoPro mounts under the car which captures the suspension at work. Also great for watching the tyres deform and flex when off road.

Seeing as pricing is an issue for you, just know that with the new model which has just been released, all the older models are tumbling in price so you should be able to pick one up for less than $200 before long.

Wal mart has the hd Hero1 naked for $130.
The GP cameras are expensive but if you can use one alot, they're worth it. Compare specs and spend what you can to get the best image. You'll always wish the pic was better!
Using a vid camera during a outing is time consuming, distracting and sometimes aggravating but usually rewarding and addicting. Everyone loves to watch the replay/relive a trip from a few years ago they'd forgotten.
I started in 1997 with a Hi8 camera duct taped to my dirt bike helmet.:rotfl:No wonder my neck is screwed...
From that monster I graduated to a real setup made by HelmetCamera, the stick of butter sized camera mounted to the helmet but still required the Hi8, connected by 2 wires, to be carried in a backpack. It worked good but was a pita dealing with the pack and wires.
Once GoPro came to market I never looked elsewhere. Had the original GP that used 2 AAA batteries and now my youngest son has it.
Next up was the GPHero, improved pic, audio and rechargeable battery. The lcd back screen is a nice addition to help frame shots. This summer I used it for about 40 hours of dirt bikin' in Co. Youtubes quality is much worse than what you see on your tv. These vids was done using a Hero1.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro2WSj7TF2s"]Dual Sport Overlook, DRZ400s - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuh3RIfeXss"]Hayden Pass MikeBike part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

I gave the Hero1 to my oldest son when I got back and picked up the Hero2, very much improved pic and features. The Hero3 came out about a month later. If I were buying a new pov it'd be the H3 Black...
My youngest son is getting a new pov for Christmas, either a Hero1, $130 at walmurt, or Best Buy has the basic Hero3 for $200.
At this point I've got over 500 hours of riding videos that need to be edited down,way down. That's another story.

Last edited:
I and several people have been using a ContourHD with lots of success, albeit in a different settings (tactical). It depends where you want to mount it.

To mount it on the side or top of something... I prefer the Contour with its smaller profile. We've got ours mounted on our helmets or earpro.

On the front of something (ie front of a car, backpack chest strap, etc), the GoPro is great.

The Panasonic's form factor is cool for a compact hand-held, but IMHO isn't very practical if you intend to mount it somewhere.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I might hold out for the GP Hero 3.

GR, bestbuy.com.au doesnt even list a GoPro! :huh::shrug:

I'll keep a lookout on eBay, Gumtree, etc...

Thanks for the offer GR, very generous :)

What do you think of the reviews about the GP HERO3 White? Seems you have to update out of the box? Also, the last one wasnt very happy with the vid being choppy & locking up, but prob wasnt a class 10 SD card.

I might do some more research before I decide... :confused:

Been watching eBay pretty closely...its amazing how many people pay ridiculous prices, like over $200 for a GoPro Hero 1...crazy!

Picked up a Hero 2 for $140, got a class 10 32GB SDHC card, only need the suction cup mount & I'm good to go :monkeydance:

Back