Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Unread 31st October 2017, 05:25 AM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Jones View Post
I know for a fact that my 2005 Forester 2.5x has an open rear diff so I think that is what you are meaning.
That must be the base model. All other levels of the USDM SG Foz have a vLSD & afaik in all other markets, every level of SG has a vLSD

Quote:
I will for sure tell them about you Australia folks and see if they have a distributor there to help keep the price down. Just to give an idea on the cost of this, the Aussie Locker for my Volvo Dana 30 is only $260.
That's not a bad price. That would work out to somewhere around $420 AUD shipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgeSubie View Post
I still don't understand how that would work if the torque is mostly sent up front. There is no permanent 50/50 split or 45/55 split as on my VTD. If the car's front wheels are unloaded on a steep and loose hill, the front wheels will spin.
The stock manual viscous centre diff works pretty well at sending torque to the rear. The MPT auto can be modded with the "centre diff lock mod" to send torque to the rear. similar to the VTD auto when locked in 1st/2nd. There's also a DCCD & locking centre diff options for the manual.

Without VDC, if you lift diagonal wheels you stop. Even with VDC there will still be loss of momentum until the computer takes over. On very steep hills, this could mean you stop & are unable to get going again.

A rear locker will keep up forward momentum until the front wheel gets grip again & you speed up. I've had this multiple times with my clutch rear LSD, a locker will be even more effective
Unread 31st October 2017, 06:17 AM

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

On the EUDM market, we have 2 different r160's.

The most common is where the ring and pinion is adjusted with shims and the flange is bolted to the differential housing

The other one has the same design as the front differential and has smaller male stubs than the "most common" one.

They are not compatible.
Unread 31st October 2017, 07:48 AM

Year: 1988
Model: EJ22'd L series
Transmission: Locking Centre Diff 5spd Manual 4.111:1 diff ratio with 1.59:1 low range and a front OBX LSD ;)
El_Freddo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
Telepathy would be nice- electricity will have to do for now. Assuming we can get this to work, of course.
R180 should be easy. ARB used to make them for the datsun 720 front diff and most likely a number of other nissans that used a rear R180 setup in a live axle configuration - apparently these were interchangeable between live and independent diff setups.

It's out there, finding one is the key. There's really no need to reinvent the wheel on this one. ARB might even have one stashed away in a warehouse that's been found in a stock take...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf1sf5 View Post
On the EUDM market, we have 2 different r160's.

The most common is where the ring and pinion is adjusted with shims and the flange is bolted to the differential housing

The other one has the same design as the front differential and has smaller male stubs than the "most common" one.

They are not compatible.
Have you got pics of this Jf? I'm a little confused. I'm not sure what flange you're talking about and your comparison seems to be talking about two different things.

An R160 is an R160. Subarus all use the long nose version. Datsuns have a short or stubby nose version too. The subaru ones are basically all the same with the exception to that of the male/female output setup externally. Internally some structural stuff changes, but not by much. For example, you can get an open R160 and a clutch pack LSD R160. To get the desired ratio you find the appropriate ratio in the open R160, remove the diff centre, swap the ring gear onto the clutch pack LSD, shave a rib in the open diff's housing and place the clutch pack LSD into what was the open diff's housing.

I was also going to ask if they were building an auto locker. I'm the same as the others - I'd be after a manual locker as I want to control it's use and reduce the wear that I'd imagine comes with a locked rear end.

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to have the auto locker available, particularly if it's a DIY kit. The ultimate is a manual locker

Also, as for the centre diff. I've got an L series locking centre diff that I'd be happy for someone in Australia to use to see if they can build one for the EJ box. It's a bit worn but it'll give the engineers something physical to look at that would greatly help with the concept. I don't know if it would be feasible (would probably need a custom rear housing to suit!) but I reckon it's worth looking into.

If it did need a custom housings, why not try building a "traditional" low range transfer case out the back of the box? I'd be keen to see this done! And I'm sure the US market with their single range boxes would too.

Anyway, food for thought!

Cheers

Bennie
Unread 1st November 2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Freddo View Post

Have you got pics of this Jf? I'm a little confused. I'm not sure what flange you're talking about and your comparison seems to be talking about two different things.
I can't post pics but here is a link to another forum with the pics ! I had both diffs (4,11:1) on my Foz, axles are not compatible, the smaller is Vlsd. Can't remember what Subaru was the donor of the smaller differential though !

https://www.forum4x4.org/threads/117...=1#post3320264
Unread 2nd November 2017, 09:34 AM

Transmission: Locking Centre Diff 5spd Manual 4.111:1 diff ratio with 1.59:1 low range and a front OBX LSD ;)

Now I understand what you're talking about. (I tried borrowing a pic from the linked forum but it wouldn't allow this)

What you have is an R180 and an R160.

Second row, left pic, R180 on the left, R160 on the right.

The R180 is no wider than the R160 but has a larger ring gear, tailshaft flange, output stub/male rear shaft diametres.

It will bolt in where the R160 goes without any mods to mounting points AFAIK.

All R160 diffs are the same size - with exception of the short nose version that the datsuns had, but subaru never used them

The R180 side bearing cups are bolted in place and the backlash is adjusted by changing shims on each side to move the ring gear in or out in relation to the pinion shaft.
The R160 in your pics uses the screw adjustment type bearing cups. I think the bolt in ones are stronger but I could be wrong. The R160 in my L series uses the same flange design as the R180 that you have - but they'll be smaller in size to match the R160 bearings etc.

So, you've got an R180

Cheers

Bennie
Unread 2nd November 2017, 12:32 PM

I'd be happy if it was a r180...but its a r160 !

It comes from the donor I bought for the EJ22 swap, a '96 Lecacy sedan. I'll take the measurements (height) to be sure Subaru never fitted an r180 in a Legacy that was owned by a granpa !

The smaller diff probably comes from a SG5 2.0 125 hp, Subforest72 has an identical one.

Last edited by jf1sf5; 2nd November 2017 at 04:09 PM.
Unread 2nd November 2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf1sf5 View Post
I'd be happy if it was a r180...but its a r160 !

It comes from the donor I bought for the EJ22 swap, a '96 Lecacy sedan. I'll take the measurements (height) to be sure Subaru never fitted an r180 in a Legacy that was owned by a granpa !
A lot can happen to a car in 21 years - pre granpa ownership mod?

R180 on the left, R160 on the right

R160 on the left, R180 on the right.

From this forum, post #26

The R180 looks strikingly like that diff in the right of your image that I referenced earlier.
@Rally should be able to confirm this too.

Cheers

Bennie

Last edited by El_Freddo; 3rd November 2017 at 12:31 AM.
Unread 3rd November 2017, 02:42 AM

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road

I had a look at the photos I took of when I did the R180 conversion on my WRX, which unfortunately won't upload here. The difference in height between my R180 and R160 is significantly less than on your photos Bennie.
Unread 3rd November 2017, 07:32 AM

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road

Hopefully this will work. A photo of the VLSD R160 (left) taken out of my MY99 WRX, and replaced with a plated R180 (right).
Unread 3rd November 2017, 07:51 AM

If you look closely to both the r180 and r160 on your pic, you will see that my diff is a r160 (air vent in front of bolt, and cover where the bolts hold the diff is flat rather than two "bumps")

So sadly, its "only" an r160...and granpa had it from new !