From Dual Range to X-Mode

Subychik

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Impreza
Transmission
CVT
I've been doing a bit of research on Subies of late, part due to boredom, part due to building them in my head :lildevil: One thing I have been trying to figure out though is mainly in Foresters, when did dual range get culled and when did X-Mode begin?

I too am of the old skool like many of you on here where I love a transfer case in any 4wd. That being said, Subies were never designed to be just any 4wd/AWD as we all no. A project for me one day maybe will be building up a dual range Forester for more off road exploring then what my 2015 Impreza can handle.

What I think I have worked out so far is that Foresters from their original creation were all dual range all the way through to early 2008 models, but not on GT or XT models? And only with manual transmissions?

This is similar with Outbacks as well I believe?

Let's see if we can pool our collective Subie knowledge and create a listing for members future reference :):)

Turbos (and H6's) did not come with dual range with any Subaru. Dual range Foresters finished with the SH. Only manuals had dual range. Not sure about Outbacks, but I suspect they lost dual range earlier

Manual diesel (because they're turbo !) SH didn't have dual range either, only 2.0 petrol manuals

They're two separate things.

dual-range was manual boxes
X-mode is auto. box

Auto went 4sp, 4sp with VDC (outback), 5sp, x-mode, etc (not sure of dates or order)
Manual 5sp single or dual range, 6sp

Ok, that's great. Thanks for info. I was on the right track all along :):)

Back