Auto Vs Manual

In Switzerland, the first gen Crosstrek called XV here had a 1,6 liter engine mated to a dual range 5 speed manual transmission. Don't know if it helps you to know that though...its the little lever next to the handbrake.

https://img.ricardostatic.ch/crop?w...7_v1_2&token=ae9d37d8bda3d7ec0d120ff75fe0aa7e

I didn't know the XV ever came out with a dual range - good to see.

Basically any 5-sp dual range will plonk in. Not sure if any US models ever had them, though... and its a bit of a 'stick shift' desert in the US.

Europe is the only place I am aware of that got the 1.6L dual range XV's. Australia got dual ranges in some older Subaru's but US never got any dual ranges.

All Drive Subaru in Australia do low range conversion kits and all sorts of custom gearbox stuff so they would be worth contacting. You may be able import a dual range gearbox from overseas for less, but I'm not sure what is required to make a dual range bolt up to the newer style of engine. You then have to look at which low range you want, as there is a 1.19, 1.447, 1.59 options and also different diff ratios. These low ranges are not as low as those found in a truck, but the 1.447 in mine made a massive difference.
https://www.alldrivesubaroo.com.au/gearbox/subaru-transmission/

The theory that a torque converter is a good substitute for a low range in more challenging conditions has been proven wrong. We saw that on my last trip.

I'll have my torque converter any day over Subie's standard low range for rock crawling ;-)

After all, how many Subies have completed the Spanish Steps in NSW Blue Mountains:

Here's me on the Spanish Steps:

You'll recognize bits of it from my pics in these videos:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ7rOqgmYl4"]pathfinder at spanish steps, Zig Zag ,nsw - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d8oOg8g2hE"]Newnes - Spanish Steps - YouTube[/ame]

Europe is the only place I am aware of that got the 1.6L dual range XV's. Australia got dual ranges in some older Subaru's but US never got any dual ranges.

The US did get dual range gearboxes in the early Subarus before the EJ engine era :iconwink:

And now imagine a Crosstrek/XV with the non-reliable 2.0 diesel but heaps of torque mated to the 1.6 dual range....I think it might break !

It’s amazing how life like CGI is these days. If it wasn’t because they were showing a Rangie off road I would have sworn it was real. ��

[MENTION=114]Kevin[/MENTION], do you have a video of your Subaru climbing the Spanish Steps ?

The theory that a torque converter is a good substitute for a low range in more challenging conditions has been proven wrong. We saw that on my last trip.

After having driven a stock auto and stock manual of exactly the same car (gen 2 sg) the auto is 100% the winner for slow technical crawling, well until it overheats and stops working anyway. Torque converter very much makes up for lack of low range. However if you add 1.447 or 1.59 low range the story is somewhat different.
I would have stuck with the auto if it wasn't so rubbish on road and didn't use a billion litres of fuel per m when crawling offroad. Unfortunately for me these draw back meant I have gone back to a manual, soon to be upgraded to 1.59 low range and 4.44 diffs.

I was comparing turbo auto vs turbo manual with 1.447 low range.

So have you sold the car, or just replaced the auto with a manual box?

I was comparing turbo auto vs turbo manual with 1.447 low range.

So have you sold the car, or just replaced the auto with a manual box?

Wasn't the real comparison electronic brake based traction control vs diff lock?

I haven't sold it yet but will be. Conversion is way to much like hard work. Much cheaper an easier to just buy a manual.

Both, but mainly comparing the diff lock vs electronic control

Agree, conversions are hard yakka.

G'day everyone,

I'm looking at buying a SG forester 2004 - 2006 or so, and was wondering which transmission would be better offroad?
I've heard the auto is not the best transmission. And is the dual range any good in the manual?

Cheers

Depends on how offroad you mean.
And your age.. When I was younger than now, I wouldn't consider an auto. Now I would.
Transmissions have improved a lot since my younger days too.
The low range on the manual has a reputation of being a bit like glass. But it's what I've got and it works for me. (y)
It's also not very low compared to the SF series Forester and even earlier Subarus. I'd like a lower low in mine, that's my only gripe with the manual. :)
The Auto gets a pretty good rep in this model and later foresters too I think. A tranny cooler is a must if not already fitted I reckon.

If you're talking serious offroading I recommend manual, swap out the low for SF or lower, change the diffs to a better ratio than the manual (4.44?) plus rear locker, front LSD, DCCD, HotBits long travel coilovers or similar then enjoy breaking various bits of the car.
That's what I'd do if money was no object anyway. But I'd do it to my SVX & with a 6 speed instead of dual range 5 speed . All people gotta have a dream :D

My final thoughts are both gearboxes are perfectly capable for 'normal Australian' touring and average off road conditions. A forester will never a rock crawler be without considerable time and on-going expense fixing and replacing bits.

G'day & Welcome @Hugh

Definitely auto mate! You can rock crawl in an auto which is almost impossible in a manual unless you spend a lot of cash to get a lower low range etc

My auto box has been rock solid and has served me very well indeed

Have a look at this thread: https://www.offroadsubarus.com/threads/auto-vs-manual.4857/

those older 4eat said to be bulletproof, so that would work fine, specially lower geared ones . i mean isaw many times how people burn clutch on subaru on just one trip like doing some hard off road and then at end of it they changing clutch ,so yh ... with gearbox maybe you not so fast to spin wheels as with manual but its just comfort to drive , easy to use, no need to know a lot about off road too, just press pedal slowly or hard depends on situation.

:welcome: to the forum, Hugh.

There is all the difference in the world between the series 1 SG and the series 2 (mid year 2005 to MY 2008) engines.

The series 1 has completely different heads and fuel system, and torque characteristics (EJ251 engine). The low range at 1.196:1 suits the later engine (EJ253) perfectly. It has far more torque from 1200 to 2200 rpm and ~4700 to 6200 rpm.

This means that I can still be in second LR at 70+ kmh towing a 700 kg trailer up a km long, 30° dirt track. In the series 1, I would have to change into third, losing speed and momentum, and possibly stalling.

I drove both when looking to turn over my Impreza for a Forester, and the series 2 is just a far superior vehicle both on the road and off it.

Search for the thread here about the differences between the EJ251 and EJ253 engines.

I would buy another series 2 Forester in a heart beat. I would not buy a series 1 Forester. Too little torque at low revs.

Thanks for all the fantastic info Ben, Kevin, and Ratbag :) Thanks for the quick replies and the warm welcome! Greatly appreciated

I'm looking at part-time offroad, but want to be able to go as far as possible on the smallest budget, from the sounds of it a lifted series 2 auto sounds like the go.

How many Kms on the odo is too many? Course that is dependent on service history etc.
Currently looking at a MY06 FX for $4500 w/ 250,000 Ks on the clock

And thanks too Scalman! sorry missed you there. I am not the most experienced manual driver, so burning clutches is a bit of a reality for me so the 4EAT is probably for me.

Back