Jamie_stafford

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Impreza
Transmission
Auto
Hi there, I'm new here and currently lifting my 2004 impreza wagon,
I was wondering if there is an optimum suspension setup for maximum travel while using original struts (I have forester struts fitted) ie. Body lift and strut drop combo or is it maxed out in standard form?

Pics of my current setup, I still have the front anti roll bar connected.

Hi Jamie !

I don't know what struts you have but for maximum stroke, SG's are the one to bolt on your Impreza. Pedders should be good and they come as a complete unit, a friend has some on his SF Forester and is very happy (I haven't tested them).

Hope it helps !

Sg? Sorry I'm still quite new to the short terms, I have struts from a forester s-turbo

Gidday Jamie, and :welcome: to the ORS forum, mate.

Forester models go:

SF, SG, SH, SJ, usually with a series 1 and series 2 of each major model. The differences between both the model and each series within each model are often very significant. e.g. the SG series I uses the EJ-251 engine while the series II uses the EJ-253 engine, along with other significant differences.

Your travel is limited by the length of travel of the shock itself and having swaybars connected or not.

"Ride height" is adjusted using longer/ shorter springs, longer or shorter strut bodies, or Lift blocks.

An impreza can be further lifted with forester or Outback Body Spacers,
But your suspension travel will remain bound to shock travel

And to add some specs, SG shocks have 190mm stroke front and 205mm stroke rear where SF shocks "only" have 170mm stroke front and I can't remember for the rear…!

You should be lifted higher than a Forester because of the weight, your Impreza is lighter !

Thanks for the info! Looks like a want sg shocks then as there is a fair difference in travel, I was mainly wondering if there is anything limiting the travel of the struts, maybe something in the suspension geometry that a body lift could solve, I'm just trying to get a good idea of how I can get the best from it. mine are off this 2.0l turbo forester, I'm guessing it's probably an sf?

Back