Forester 07 x looking at starting some upgrades.

I have 2 65 series spare. The one I put in the rear I deflate. When I am travelling around during the week I don't bother carrying my air compressor as I figure I can call the RACV in the unlikely event I have a flat. For off road trips i always carry a compressor. For longer or more remote trips I always carry a second fully inflated spare on the roof.

Quick Quizz havachat if you can answer would be good:
1. do 65 fit on stock height?
2. How much do you have to deflate to get it in the well.
3. did you find it a big pro factor going the 65s?
Can see only about 10mm in ride height but opens alot more tyre options.

Cheers

Hi Vert,
In answer to the "Quick Quizz":
1. do 65 fit on stock height? 65 won't be an issue

2. How much do you have to deflate to get it in the well. I actually undo the valve (just don't loose it!) I then sit on it and put the valve back in

Can see only about 10mm in ride height but opens alot more tyre options. When you air down a 60 you don't have a lot of side wall height to start with, so the bigger diameter tyre just gives you that little bit more. And yes there are more options. The 65 also corrects the speedo error.

Hi Vert,
In answer to the "Quick Quizz":
1. do 65 fit on stock height? 65 won't be an issue

2. How much do you have to deflate to get it in the well. I actually undo the valve (just don't loose it!) I then sit on it and put the valve back in

Can see only about 10mm in ride height but opens alot more tyre options. When you air down a 60 you don't have a lot of side wall height to start with, so the bigger diameter tyre just gives you that little bit more. And yes there are more options. The 65 also corrects the speedo error.

So will a $44 electronic speedo adjustment device available from Jaycar:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/Automotiv...-Accessories/CORRECTOR-SPEEDO-MODULE/p/AA0376

Cheers for that guys. Would like to go to the 65s just for cheaper at tyre range. But sounds like a pain in the b hind to get it in and out and would need to carry around compressor or foot pump with me.

will the 215/65r16 fit in the spare tyre well??

Yes, it will.

I carried a slightly worn 215/65r16 in the spare tire well as a spare for months before I got a tire carrier fitted to suit my 215/70r16's. Maybe it comes down to brand and state of wear.

Yes, it will.

I carried a slightly worn 215/65r16 in the spare tire well as a spare for months before I got a tire carrier fitted to suit my 215/70r16's. Maybe it comes down to brand and state of wear.

Cheers, Something to keep in mind maybe then.
Might have to do a trial fit for boot then lol

Are there any other worthwhile upgrades to do other then off road bullbar and sump guard?

Saw some mention of an additional transmission cooler etc.

Also what are you guys meaning by the speed error?
Noticed that its about 5km/hr out compared to gps is that what you guys were talking about?

Diffs.

Are there any other worthwhile upgrades to do other then off road bullbar and sump guard?

Saw some mention of an additional transmission cooler etc.

Better diffs make an amazing difference. I see so many people putting big tyres and big lifts on their cars, but if that tyre is not getting power to it, then it is useless. They're not locking diffs (Although the DCCD is) but a good plated diff transforms the car. Unlike lifts and big off road tyres, there are no drawbacks running 3 good diffs.

Went to wack some air in after reading the 36psi recommendation on the forums.
Found they were all sitting on 25/26psi.
Been going off inspection plate recommendations and been using a servo 'Auto' air nearby work.
Normally will do that about once a month.
I should have used my independent tyre gauge....
Maybe I would have some more shoulder on my left side if I did :(

tyre pressures are meant to be cold pressures, so your 32psi at the servo will actually be a few psi less once the tyres cool down.
I agree with Rally just a sumpguard and road tyres is enough for mild offroading.

Tyres rotated now. So will just see how they go and try and get an alignment sometime soonish.
Will try and look more this week at the subaextreme one.
They had in stock about a month ago.....

Well with the sump guard now on was looking at the Goodyear G26 Cargo
Any thoughts on them? Seem to be not too bad in a Ute I occasionally drive.
imgres

elsubTwv-PJexukekh_PWsw-uIsyjruSbRZbRCLQZxl9Y3wpPRlVPWi52vBvCHOtANkQGx1mlRmjmRTzISPmsjXvNHW4Yb_kiWmxZPxADz-rAiWP2U4uK7EE=w396-h269-nc

Last edited:
Back