New Suzuki Jimny

Why are these called Jimny and not Samurai?

'cause! :ebiggrin:

or other names it was known by:

Chevrolet Samurai
Holden Drover
Maruti Gypsy
Santana Samurai
Suzuki Caribian
Suzuki Katana
Suzuki Potohar
Suzuki SJ410/413
Suzuki Samurai
Suzuki Santana
Suzuki Sierra
Suzuki Fox

What? I had no idea. That's hilarious. Usually a respected nameplate (or even just a well known one) is money...

Leaked photos
suzukijimny.jpg

From side it looks kinda like small g vagon. But why so small front window and so high.
They say its first new generation in 20 yrs.

dims

Depending on the 4x4 system, that should be quite capable from the factory.

It should be a lot of fun in a variety of terrain. Short wheelbase and small footprint can do wonders, as we all know. Of course, for the same reasons that's one vehicle I would not want lifted. Maybe slightly bigger and especially wider tires, but no suspension lift.

Variety is good. Here it has been all-Wranglers since 2012 when they finally got the powertrain right and especially now that the new Wrangler is actually ok on road. 4Runners sell well but few make it off pavement. The most anticipated vehicle is the return of the Ford Bronco. Toyota has not updated its trucks in a decade and what happens next is anyone's guess. There is even a chance the iconic 4Runner might get axed instead of updated.

Its so much smaller shorter then old foresters.
And they can go like tanks with lockers and lift larger tires. Just they where never good on actual road , not comfy , loud, slow. Maybe this new will put them into new level.
Being still small it should crawl like goat anywhere front is kinda agresive and with custom bumper would look even better. Car for 1 person and recovery gear :)

Could not agree more: a goat-like, 1-person 4x4!

Just don't lift it...should be pretty easy to roll it over end over end when climbing anything really steep.

The more I see the new Jimny, the more I think why??? It is sooo ugglllyyyy. For comparison...

2017 Jimny. Nice curves, looks great, so very capable
https://mr4x4.com.au/2017-suzuki-jimny-100-available-sale/

2018 Jimny. I want to dig my eyes out with a blunt spoon :puke::puke::puke:
https://mr4x4.com.au/new-suzuki-jimny-spied-looks-fun/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=GCM+upgrades+have+been+banned&utm_campaign=PC+Newsletter+%23214

Such a huge backwards step. Looks like the old Jimny is about to become a lot more popular!

I don't know. The 2017 seems to try too hard to look like something it is not, half-sporty, half-cute. The 2018 is an unapologetic box that stresses ruggedness which I think fits better. Do I like either? No, but the 2018 seems to subordinate looks to function and that is something I do appreciate.

660cc or 1.5l engines. Manual 5 or auto4, cruise control and air con. Part time 4wd with low gears.
They should just make one electric as well. Not that it needs travel far. But with electric motors it could have masive torque.

2019-suzuki-jimny-official-image.jpg

Electric would be great.

It is interesting to consider if it has a case for re-entering the US market.

When you look at people with established incomes, the Jimny is a no go. People who want something just for trail buy UTVs, ATVs, or build old Jeeps and trucks into crawlers and trailer them to the trailhead. People who want a vehicle that does it all cannot use a Jimny because it is far too tiny.

Otoh, considering how pricey the few remaining 4x4s are for a young person, I guess, there IS a niche, people who are in their early to mid-20s--and single. For them, it could do all sorts of things. But then there is the question of how many people shop with "form follows function" in mind.

Either way, the most basic 2dr Wrangler is nowadays 30,000+ out-the-door whereas Wranglers used to start under 20,000 not so long ago. A Jimny priced at 15 and topping out at 20 might have a chance.

people will be lifting them and put offroad tires again.

suzuki-jimny-2.jpg

img-2.jpg

i wonder with all added weight and not enough power how they still capable offroad cars ?
cc052ecd0-167c.jpg

but i would want this kinda toy for local area.

Everything is better with boxer engine .haha. People make vw old transporters with boxer in rear .

In Europe, we should get a mild hybrid version of the new Jimny, that would mean torque at low speed but not sure I would buy such a version, I like it more basic/simple.

Everything is better with boxer engine .haha. People make vw old transporters with boxer in rear .

VW had their own flat4 in the old Transporters (>T3) but yes, many people adapt Subaru flat4's instead.

Subaru should develop lower gears and better traction control so we would have it with car but they didint back then and they dont see it need do it now. But they could if they want to. Or make separate car some kind of very capable traction control based small forester size model that more capable then forester.

Back