Meryla State Forest Trip

Rally

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
WRX
Transmission
6 Speed
A great weekend away in the Meryla State Forest in the NSW Southern Highlands. We got a bit lost trying o find our camping spot, and I found myself dragging my 750kg camper trailer in some genuine off road stuations. Some of the tracks were very muddy indeed. I slid off the high section and found myself planing along on the sump guard.

Of course I did not have A/T or M/T tyres. Why would I when my ROAD tyres got me out of the mud bath, even with the trailer to lug around. Similarly when I climbed some steep rocky tracks with the trailer, I never got stuck. I do find it amusing when people tell me I need AT tyres, and that turbos have too much lag. I went everywhere with EASE and I had instant throttle response crawling along slowly in low range first. And no punctures. All without airing down too.

Cool ! There's a strange noise coming from the stars...!

Obviously, you simply do not drive challenging enough terrain. ATs are not MTs. The most challenging mud I have done was on stock B9 on street tires.

You don't need ATs, but others do. There is no universally applicable solution that is the best fit for everyone.

Challenging enough to stop cars on at's without bothering me. Even m/t's clog up with mud, and as soon as that happens, they are no better than street tyres.

Your traction control goodness would certainly help.

Your traction control goodness would certainly help.
Yes Kevin, but if the tyres had no grip but had power getting to them then it would all be for nothing. On the other hand, if you had a tyre with grip but no drive, then you go nowhere. I was with 2 other cars with AT's on this trip, and I remember one at less than walking pace sliding sideways down the track. The conditions were very slippery. The following day, a car with AT's got badly stuck and it took considerable effort to extract it.

Back