• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Lousy Aus Subaru parts supply ...

Barry

Forum Member
Four weeks ago this coming Monday I dropped off my car at a Geelong panel beater to have the hail damage from earlier in the year repaired.
I had about a 6 week wait to have the work done. The booking was confirmed the week before, at which stage it was confirmed that all parts had arrived.
Had a hire car for 2 weeks under my insurance, so had one week commuting from Melbourne by train, but that was cool. Car was supposed to be ready on the 3rd Friday (Fri last week.)
Rang on the Wednesday of the 3rd week to check progress, as instructed. ... Was told that the car "should" be ready on Friday [I've been around long enough to know this was a warning sign!] but to ring mid Friday to confirm.
(No drama, car is booked in for strut lift, King Springs the following Monday, 9th Aug, so it will work.)
On the Thursday the panel beaters rang to say that it wouldn't be ready until the next Tuesday "because they had been sent the wrong parts".
OK, hire a car at my own cost Thurs - Tues, so I had wheels for the family over the weekend.
Rang midday Tues, to be told that it would now be Wednesday. [Today]:eviltoyou:
(Shift my RDO and the suspension booking to the following Thursday - 12th Aug -Tomorrow)
Rang at Mid day today, as instructed: "Should now be ready tomorrow."
At this point I asked to speak to the proprietor, explained that I would be happy to pick up as late as possible today, but that I had other commitments arranged. He undertook to try.
(In the mean time I had again postponed the suspension job to Friday - 13 Aug - eek!)
Couldn't be done by tonight, o.k., now late tomorrow or definitely Friday! :eviltoyou::eviltoyou:
Am told, by the receptionist, that "this car has been nothing but trouble" regarding parts. Which parts, I asked?!
The roof rack rails!
First Subaru sent the wrong model, not discovered until putting the car back together. (Fair enough I guess, I can understand how they wouldn't unpack them till needed.)
Then, on Monday, they received one and Tuesday (yesterday!) the second one.:eviltoyou::eviltoyou::eviltoyou:

What the ....?!@#$% Geelong Subaru is less than 2 km from the Panel Beaters!:eviltoyou::eviltoyou::eviltoyou:

Two questions:

1. As a single order was placed for parts for a specific car, complete with all compliasnce plate details, how is it that Subaru can supply the correct roof, but wrong roof rack rails?
  2. How bl**dy hard is it to deliver a pair of the correct roof rails. I bet they don't actually sell them singly!
This confirms my poor opinion of Subaru Australia in relation to support for 'older' models - not that I think most of us would regard 2005 as 'Old', for g0ds sake.

You just have to look at the Subaru Australia web site to see that it is all about the current model, not even a link to accessories for my model. They don't give a damn about the rest of us!

I am going to do 2 things:

• e-mail a link for this post to Geelong Subaru, to give them the opportunity to comment; and

• catch the train to South Geelong in the morning, to 'eyeball' what stage everything is at, to get a better idea of when it is really likely to be ready!
(I have made sure I have been polite / respectful /understanding throughout, so I don't think this is unreasonable.)
I am still hoping to have the lift in Friday, for the Rawson snow trip on Saturday, if not then will do the trip un-lifted and shift RDO again to next week!@#$%^& to do the lift!

Last edited:
Not good eh...
Which panel beater was that? wouldnt that be in Fynes St or Gordon Ave?
Cheers
AP
AP,
Don't really have a beef with the panel beaters, they got dudded by the parts supply - so not going to name them. However, they are biggies, and the closest local 'preferred' of my insurer to where I work.
I saw the bloke take digital photos of everything (including the compliance plate) to send with the parts order, so I don't know what could cause the error - 'SNAFU' I guess.

That's bad luck for you Barry and very slack support from Subaru.

I have seen that a lot where a job that isn't that big put on the back burner while they do other jobs that make more money
It's easy to blame somebody when they can't defend themselves meaning Subaru, and in your situation palm you off when your on the phone
I had my car getting fixed it was an easy job i dropped the car in first thing said i would pick it up at 3 pm. I drive for a living and went past the shop 3 times throughout the day it hadn't moved. I got there at 3 pm they were working on it but only just. They said parts only just come in i waited till 4:30 pm before i drove out. The car was booked in 2 days in advance and they new what parts to get. I would have a word to the insurance co and tell them how long it took you might get reimbursed for the extra car hire you can only try.

Jan

So are you all sorted now?

I reckon if we went out on a snow trip in that same area we were in we'd find the stuff. We've got heaps up here and are 7cm's off the largest snow base since 2004 - I think that graph was a 10 year jobbie...

Still not enough snow!

Cheers

Bennie

Yep, back on the road Bennie. Have been thinking the same about the recent snow falls myself.
Strut lift and King Springs Saturday, so would be all set.
Maybe in a couple of weeks - if anyone is free, but subject to AFL finals at this stage.

Back