Unread 20th February 2018, 02:53 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1998
Model: Outback
Transmission: Auto
Austas75 is on a distinguished road
Default Hi from Tassie

Hi Everyone,

I have owned Subarus most of my life starting off with a Leone EA81 engine Gen 1 liberty then a L series did the whole webber carby and body and suspension lift currently own a 1998 outback and a 1998 Liberty wagon.

I own a 1998 Subaru outback and she is a good little runner handles beach work quite well but I can not get rid of the check engine light that comes on and off it is an o2 sensor have tried changing the sensor so I believe it is the Catalytic converter needs replacing.

I also own a 1998 Subaru liberty which looks almost identical besides a smaller engine and less ground clearence.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to lift the liberty using parts from the outback ?

I would just buy a Catalytic converter but with the price and with the Outback being Auto with no low range and the liberty having a EJ22 motor and manual gear box if I can get the lift using outback parts it seems like a win win situation.

Any feedback would be much apreciated
Unread 20th February 2018, 04:19 AM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

G'day & Welcome!

I had an aftermarket cat installed on my Foz and while I can't remember the exact price it wasn't too bad. It was a "cat back" replacement.

For offroading, if the Liberty doesn't have low range you're better off with the auto; probably better with the auto in any case.

I "imagine" you could swap parts between the two. My '97 OB motor was a nice double overhead cam version which "out sparkled" my '03 Foz with single OHC. I was very disappointed when my OB was written off.
Unread 20th February 2018, 08:56 PM
Forum Member

Year: 1998
Model: Outback
Transmission: Auto
Austas75 is on a distinguished road

Yeah I think I will just keep it as is only thing I do not like about the outback is it is very hard to get engines and major parts for them in Tassie. The only other problem I have is with the transmission is that sometimes it does not want to change between 3rd and drive no matter what the revs are but it eventually changes after a while not sure what is the cause of that I have checked all the fluid levels and they seem fine. No problem going from 1 to 3rd just 3rd to 4th on occasion. Only thing I dislike over the DOHC is getting access to the spark plugs so far have not needed to change them.