4x4_sport

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester Limited
Transmission
Dual Range Manual
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and to kick things off I have a technical issue regarding my 2000 Forester Limited, so here's hoping one or more of you out there can help.

I recently attempted to have a new transponder key cut and coded for my Forester at an auto electrician who also supplies all sorts of keys and remotes. Now my Forester has, according to the previous (and only other) owner, a factory alarm system. He bought it brand new under lease and stated that the alarm system was already in it and only ever had one key. The keyless entry and alarm are all activated by the transponder key (i.e. there is no separate remote for the alarm, there is no key pad that I need to punch a code into etc). From my previous enquiries regarding the alarm system in my Forester, they were not 'factory fitted' in Japan, but were fitted in Australia following arrival. This came from my service/parts adviser contact at one of the dealers here in Melbourne. This is the only piece of information I currently have about the alarm system in my car.

The issue is this. The auto electrician could not get the security system to program a new key. Upon diagnosing why, he was able to tell me that for whatever reason, my Forester does not have the K-LINE (ISO 9141-2 and ISO/DIS 14230-4) signal that his computer needed to communicate through. According to him, my vehicle has a 16 pin connector (the one he was trying to use) and a 14 pin connector, which he said is connected directly to the immobiliser and is highly likely to be the one that a Subaru dealer will be able to connect to to program a new key. He said that he had never come across this issue with the many Subaru keys who has supplied and that mine was quite a rare occurrence. Apparently it even stumped his veteran-Subaru-mechanic friend, who also tried to connect his computer to my car without success.

My questions from all of this are:

Is there anoyone else out there in Oz that has a 2000 Forester with a factory alarm and have you ever had to get a new key?

Is there anyone who knows any more information about the alarm systems that were put in the Forester around 2000-2001?

Based on the info above, is a Subaru dealer going to be able to sort a new key out for me? I'm not too confident they will and I'm concerned that they'll charge me a whole heap and me not end up with a new key because they're just going to do the same thing that the auto electrician did....

Any help or information would be much appreciated :raz:

Cheers,

4x4_sport

G'day & Welcome. Can't help with the alarm info but all Subies came with 2 keys AFAIK

Thanks Kevin.

If memory serves me the previous owner may have said that one of the keys was lost but I can't be sure, it was 3.5 years ago now. He had only had one key for quite a while, put it that way.

Cheers

When a vehicle is landed in Australia it goes through a pre delivery inspection (PDI) facility where compliance plate, tinted windows and other vehicle options are fitted before delivery to the dealer.
Autonexus undertake this function for Subaru. Might be a long shot, but I would be contacting them.

Back