What factors make Off Road Ability?

This is the type of soft sand I was talking about.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrO1SsHgtho"]Subaru Forester XT vs Sand - YouTube[/ame]

I think that the ultimate factor is value.

I agree, My Forester has done 30,000 km, and no problems. :lol: My cousins Forester has done 340,000km and has very few issues. They sold it and got a new Land Rover, and they have issues already at 40,000km.

I live in the city, and my Forester is great to drive around the city. I take it camping/offroad probably 10 or more times a year, and i punch out side my wait class. It takes me to remote camping sites, it does everything i need it to do, and a little more.

And i paid 32K for it.

Beachworm, good video, shows just how capable a late model Forester XT is!!

temmah, yep, some people do the Subie thing, then sell up & go to a big 4wd, but after a while many come back to Subarus for the reliability & handling, not to mention the safety.

It certainly is interesting what some people call "offroad". To me, it means off the road, ie not a road. Gravel roads aren't offroad, even though some can be challenging due to floods, corrugations etc, because they are still roads. The name gravel road is a giveaway lol. To me, offroad is 4wd track, no track, beach, sand dune, river bed, etc. I don't count the difficulty, as some beaches are like highways that a 2wd can do, same with 4wd tracks. Yet others push a well prepared offroad vehicle & it's driver to its limits

A road is almost a legal thing in it’s own right. Insurance generally covers you only on actual roads. Many bush tracks are not roads and in those situations you are off road.

A road is almost a legal thing in it’s own right. Insurance generally covers you only on actual roads. Many bush tracks are not roads and in those situations you are off road.

I've been concerned about the issue of insurance so got a quote from Club 4X4. If your vehicle is ADR MC classified they'll cover you to drive anywhere you are legally allowed to be, even on private property with the permission of the owner. My current insurance is with Woolworths and they offer the same cover for MC classification except for the private property. It pays to ask what you're covered for.

good that noone calls wagon an offroad car . mine has done over 320k km now and it costed me 1.5k euros. and it has VDC. what more could i wish here. some older forester with basic trim cost same here or even more.

... It got me thinking that what is off-road to me may not be off-road to you and I wonder what the general off-roading community thinks on this topic....

Yup. This is why the best distinctions are:

paved roads
trails (from big and fast dirt roads to extreme 4x4 trails)
cross-country: where no roads exist.

Cross-country is illegal virtually anywhere in the U.S. and thus irrelevant.

So, here offroad=paved roads + trails.

Many people resist this simple binary because they only want to call a "trail" something that requires a modified vehicle and some effort. But this is where typologies run into walls as a universally agreed upon boundary between dirt road and trail is impossible to devise.

This is why all respected websites and print guides here include everything from fast dirt roads to back and vehicle-breaking 1-2 mile 4x4 trails.

Now, LEGALLY, off-road typically means cross-country. This is another area of great confusion. Lots of people confuse common parlance with legal language and think they void warranties if they do unpaved roads or that their insurance is void if they do 4x4 classified trails. But legally a difficult 4x4 trail is not necessarily offroad and some famous ones are actually county roads.

It is easier, if not by any means easy, to devise generally applicable difficulty ratings, as said websites and print guides do. Even so, most people just call things the way they see them personally, which creates a great deal of confusion in internet conversations.

One of the interesting questions in the latter area concerns the main classification criterion. The most successful 4x4 guide books here, those of Charlie Wells, get it right, I think, by rating a trail in terms of its most difficult spot. If you have 10 miles of smooth sailing and 1 moderate spot, it is a moderate trail. And so on. This way people with less capable vehicles do not get nasty surprises.

Cross country is illegal in the US? Ironic considering the cars are allowed so many freedoms.

Yes, almost everywhere. I think BLM land may be an exception but I am not sure.

There are OHV parks, in some of which you can drive ATVs and 4x4s all over the place but they are not very large.

The national forests contain an enormous number of legal roads/trails even though a great deal have been permanently closed. The same applies to the deserts so there really is no good reason to go cross country. There is absolutely no shortage of legal routes. That said, some closures are very questionable. We came across one of those yesterday in Montana. Sign said "closed to provide non-motorized recreation." That in the middle of nowhere on a generic forest road under a powerline that connects two sections of a mountain. I doubt anyone goes there biking, hiking, or whatever...perfect for a vehicle crossing the mountain though....

Insurance generally covers you only on actual roads. Many bush tracks are not roads and in those situations you are off road.

All insurance companies will cover you on any "gazetted road". Best way to think of it is if the road or track has a name, you're covered.

Many insurance companies will cover you anywhere. As Beachworm said, everyone should know what they are & aren't covered for

https://unsealed4x4.com.au/know-your-land-rights/

another VDC test in sand
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA6b9Yqj-JQ"]Subaru outback VDC in sand - YouTube[/ame]

I think it did well. Getting out is not entirely as aggressive as something with a more mechanical system but it was still able to get out when needed.

It would be nice if we can get a collection of videos of different tests of stock and upgraded systems.

well Rally's car is upgraded pretty much with CCD and even locker so that is like ultimate stuff.
what else would change things in better is long travel , some people did that too with custom coils and such , that give just way more drops so you have traction more time .
but in general im allways most curious what stock can do how it doing it why and when

Yes. It's amazing what you can do with these cars.

True. It's good to see what the stock ones can do, although, a good YouTube search will give us enough evidence and footage.

I see a lot of older model vehicles doing more extreme off road, rather than newer generation (post 2014) models. Is this because the older Subaru’s are more capable/tougher than the newer kit? Or is it simply because people don’t want to damage the paint work / bend the body on a newer rig. I’ve done some minor damage to the rear plastic skirts brackets on my 2014 XT going over a rotten buried tree in the track, it formed a step but collapsed under weight. So a little wary now, although vechicle seems capable to go anywhere in Xmode?

Because you cant just drive on any harder track with stock bumpers on those newer cars. some do that but not much rly.
i saw test of new forester and it tried to drive on very steel hill, car just stopped when it reached hill because it has some kind of adaptive safety that he sees obstacle in front and dont go ... i mean yes its safe but cmon.
old models are cheap and easy to mod or cut or even if you brake that bumper its nothing serious and easy to fix change it.
new cars as all test they do in videos they do test where bumpers dont meet any danger , so its not very off roady .

blcRV00l.jpg

here pics taken from same video same hill old forry went first and new after it . old one was turbo , and was really low, no lift no nothing, but after couple tries it flyed up top, then new one cant go any further then there because bumpers.

so when bumpers was in my way i found easy solution for that
A3GleHbh.jpg

I see a lot of older model vehicles doing more extreme off road, rather than newer generation (post 2014) models. Is this because the older Subaru’s are more capable/tougher than the newer kit? Or is it simply because people don’t want to damage the paint work / bend the body on a newer rig. I’ve done some minor damage to the rear plastic skirts brackets on my 2014 XT going over a rotten buried tree in the track, it formed a step but collapsed under weight. So a little wary now, although vechicle seems capable to go anywhere in Xmode?

If you have seen my videos and others you will see the limitations of the electronic systems Subaru use. Especially when compared to a well modified earlier model. Standard against standard though it’s much closer. If you want off road ability, spend the money on an older model and put some decent diffs and a sump guard on it, with suitable gearing

Stock for stock, the newer ones have better traction, the old ones have better size and wheelbase. The 2009-13 Forester had the best angles of any Subaru I know.

Definitely having a newer vehicle limits use. Not much with me, though I still feel bad about all the extensive custom pin-stripping I got on a 3 week old vehicle earlier this year, but it is a HUGE deal for most folks.

I had my 4Runner differential and transfer case fluids replaced and dealer said they barely ever see a brand new vehicle being actually used off-road. Lift kits, big tires, and trips to the mall? You bet!

i did saw many russian videos where they test real 4wd cars sometimes they go together with some renault dusters or foresters but all times somewheone comes there with forester they are made for city they sits low and have turbo , so compare to that renault dusters looks like real offroaders with good angles. even though they just have 1.6 or 2.0 engines and no turbo, no low gears or locks, some duster have traction control that works similar to subaru using ABS , and on some videos i saw how duster with lift and mud tires just goes on pair with they YAZ Patriot , lada 4x4 or sherokees and land cruisers.
upload-PC053752-pic905-895x505-48380.jpg

thats good angles over there, but they not comfy inside as subarus and dont sound good either. so it depends what you compare and what you need.
then there are Grand Sherokee ZJ's they pretty cheap , they cheaper then anything real 4wd out there and they so good off road. that red ZJ have no lkift but larger wheels with cut arches to fit them and rear locker there. and it goes like tank on all deep mud deep snow , sand, where others famous many time more expencive 4wds fails that ZJ just flies rly. just why you need anything else.
Bq0g9XaFeqI.jpg

so older cars better off road same goes for cherokee's , subarus and some others. if its not hardcore offroad then newer cars can do it as well if have good enough angles and tires.

Back