Rear LSD - Split thread

The vLSD will only ever overheat once ...

This is extremely unlikely to happen under any normal on or off road conditions. Just never do donuts in any stock Subaru ...

What will quickly kill a centre vlsd is applying power with the handbrake applied.

A while ago, when I was running a plated rear diff and helical front diff, my centre vlsd wore out. Was it just old age, or did the upgraded front and rear diffs play a part? I don’t know. I have since upgraded both my rear and centre diffs so it won’t be an issue I should see again

Thanks for that info, Rally.

Worth knowing if people are tempted to drive standard Subarus in non-standard ways.

They are very well designed to do what they are designed to do, like lots of other things.

Do not drive an F Type Jaguar along normal off road tracks ... ;).

Running upgraded diffs is fine for the centre diff, but like Rally said don't use the handbarke. Driving through the brakes is fine (foot brake), I've done countless steep rocky climbs doing that & my centre diff is still going 100%

for the then new SG:

"All models, manual and auto, are also now fitted with a viscous limited slip rear differential"

Does this mean ALL models including 2003 base model? It appears that my 03 SG has a open rear diff (can hold one wheel and other one still turns)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes but it needs some slip before it locks up; else it's ceased to function which I believe can happen over time.

The 2003 SG is a crossover model. Most seem to have the vLSD rear diff but not all.

In the US, the 2003 SG has SF suspension!! Go figure lol

In Oz all should have vLSD as tech specs state:

"Rear Differential
All models, manual and auto, are also now fitted with a viscous limited slip rear differential. This provides the benefit of torque transfer from a rear wheel which is starting to lose traction to the other wheel which has
traction. This means that providing one wheel on the rear of the vehicle has traction, the vehicle will maintain momentum. High speed stability of the vehicle is also enhanced."

In my '06 if I jack both rear wheels in the air with handbrake off and I can only turn the wheels by hand very slowly. It is stiff enough to crack the wheel nuts. Another base model '03 I know felt like it was open. Either Subaru were lying or the LSD's are just worn out. Probably worth seeing if your front wheels feel the same as your rear wheels.

Back