Kevin

Administrator
Car Year
MY'03
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
A/T
Having carried around a 15 kg 120 watt folding solar panel I decided to opt for the more recent semi-flexible panels.I picked 2 x 100 watt and they weigh around 2.2 kg each; so I am saving 10 kg in weight.I wanted to attach them permanently to the roof of my Columbus roof top camper so there was no set up involved when camping, and the angle of the camper when open is great for picking up the rays.

I was going the attach / glue them straight onto the surface of the camper but I read that there should be an air gap behind the panels to allow heat to escape; hmmmm.I decided to use some Stayput vertical fasteners https://www.stayputfasteners.com.au/index_2.html and these worked very well indeed.Base Plate = 35 mm x 16 mm, Post length to latch when down = 9 mm (double size),Post diameter = 9mm.I got some small O Rings to place on the post first; this worked out really well as it holds the panel very firmly once locked in place.

I drilled 4 holes down each side to suit the Stayput posts. I put the posts into the holes in the panel and placed the panel in positon on the roof of the camper.Then I traced around the base of each fastener with a pen as best I could and removed the panel; with a fastener I then completed tracing the position of each fastener base onto the roof.I then applied a “blob” of Sikaflex adhesive/sealant to the Stayput base and stuck each fastener in place; be careful not to push the fastener down too hard or all the sealant will get pushed out. After letting the Sikaflex set for a couple of days I put the O rings on the posts and mounted the solar panel.

For the wiring I used 2 x Y MC4 solar panel connectors to bring the positives and negatives together from each panel and these then feed into my CTEK 250S Dual DC-DC charger.

Since the install I’ve had a few weekend trips and a Simpson Desert crossing with lots of corrugations and the panels are just fine.

IMG_3329-1.jpgIMG_3331-1.jpgIMG_3334-1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Kevin!
Suscribed to the post!
I am going the same way as you with that, but instead of Columbus, on a Maggiolina Adventure!

Last edited:
Can you see them now?

Ok, now I can see. I don't know why I thought yow did install on the Forester! jeje!
What do you do when the tent is open with the cables? The cables are extra-long? Have you pics of the Ctek installation? I was thinking using Sikaflex 11c to attach the panels, I didn't have read about the air gap! :surprised: But it makes sense.
Thanks a lot man!

The camper was on the Foz and can still go my Foz if necessary - but it's not wired up for the panels (as yet).

The cables stay in place. I don't have pics of the CTEK installation but it attaches inside the front window of the canopy using heavy duty / rough surface Velcro - it works well and I have attached in this way in two cars now; for the other car (not one of mine) I attached the CTEK to the rear quarter panel behind the rear seat.

OK! Now that I got the CTEK, going for the Solar panels! I will look for two of them, with mid size, due the my maggiolina tent. One exactly like this:
mcbj.jpg

The problem here is, that the front (where there bars are) will not be usable for me. I will carry the second spare wheel up there! I will use the end part of the tent (about 120cmx70).

On the weekend I discovered that my solar panels have stopped working; both of them! I've checked right back into the junction box (had to remove all the sealant) where the panel strips join up - and - nothing! Checked the diodes and they are OK. I don't know how long they've been like this and I know they were working earlier in the year. Maybe with all the electrical storm activity lately they've been zapped. Ordered 2 new panels.

^ that's a bugger, Kevin. They must have caught the same bug that took out HC's alternator!

New panels on and hooked up today. Pumping 20+ volts at the CTEK.

A 2020 update! Of the new panels I installed just one is still working and then only until it gets too hot and it stops! I have a 230W panel that came off a home roof solar system and am thinking of installing it on the camper; you can pick these up 2nd hand for A$30 on ebay. A problem may be that it weighs 20Kg and I think the max load spec for the camper is 15Kg. Maybe if I add little winglets like aeroplanes it will give lift and reduce weight at speed! :D

Back