• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Windows 10, it's actually OK

^ Only for the lower level versions (e.g. 'Home xxxx').

For Pro etc, one can still pick and choose, and control download/installation time/s.

I plan to leave upgrading any of our computers for quite some time ...

Been using it for over 6 months without issue.

I see the privacy concerns as a non issue as the majority can be disabled quite easily if it is so desired. Its not like it is any different to any smartphone OS or most other devices and OS software anyway.

It is a solid OS. Will migrate to it as my main OS when I can be bothered backing up mountains of stuff scattered every to do a clean install.

I'll sit on the fence for some months to see what other little gems MS has hidden away from the naive and not so smart PC users.

I've been told that you can no longer specify any Win update choices with Win 10 i.e. all controlled by Microsoft now; is this correct?

Yes that has got me a little ****ted off, you can 'deffer' updates with pro for 2-3 months, then it'll force install all of them. Enterprise version can have them turned on or off.

There's also a p2p setting for updates which you imo needs to turn off as it'll upload your os updates to other w10 useres and when it's doing so chews up a lot of bandwidth

Did my free W10 install the other day.
Glad those flamin` tiles have gone. Otherwise seems not much different.
It did automatically delete my CCleaner program though.

Just downloaded it again. Still there.
Unless of course, which is always likely given my degree of computer expertise, I accidentally deleted it myself but I never went into the Control Panel/Programs menu.
Yet again another one of life`s inexplicable mysteries......

I still haven't crossed over to the dark side
on my PC running win7 I partitioned my SSD 30gig for the OS but win7 has a habit of bloating up bigger and bigger and I am constantly having to delete temp files etc. Does anyone know if win10 has this annoying bug

Gidday Lefty

I usually allocate about 75-120 GB for the O/S and program partition.

I also understand that SSDs 'appreciate' not being fully used for partitioned space. e.g. a 240 GB SSD already has 16 GB as unallocated space that the OS doesn't know about. The SSD uses this space for wear levelling and housekeeping (e.g. when using the TRIM command). Leaving a further 16-20 GB unallocated further enhances the lifespan of the device.

Like many, I will not be adopting Win 10 until the middle of next year, at the earliest.

I haven't noticed Win 7 bloating temp files. Mine has been pretty good BUT I do run a clean of all my drives once a month or so ( when I do a force defrag and backup my data drives).
I put win 10 ( free upgrade) onto my little laptop I use for travelling. Except for the scratch pad driver having to be manually loaded it was painless BUT it has very little on it and I use the device only for taking on travels and email and net access. Way better than the disgusting win 8, which was another Vista sent to try everyone's patience. Won't be changing any of the computers I use for real stuuf to win 10. Don't like it THAT much...

Updated to Windows 10 on the weekend, total disaster Windows 10 will only let me logon to my computer on a temporary basis.

This means I can't do a thing and I don't know how to solve it. I have logged on using both my Windows logon and my local user password and neither solves the issue.

The Windows help on their web is totally useless.

I was perfectly happy with Windows 7 and never had an issue. So at the moment I have a laptop that is totally useless, thanks to Microsoft :(

^ strange - is it because you have not activated it?

Hi Kevin I followed the instructions and changed my computer login to my Windows login that was meant to fix it but it didn't. Then another web site suggested going back to my local login and that didn't work either.
No idea what to do :(

Hi Kevin,
this is helpful. this is the message I get when I log in:

You've been signed in with a temporary profile.

You can't access your files, and files created in this profile will be deleted when you sign out. To fix this, sign out and try signing in later. Please see the event log for more details or contact your system administrator.

This is what the second link you sent me seems to be about. Interestingly the message on my computer doesn't display fully.
I will have another play and see if I can resolve it,
thanks

A word of warning for win10 users if travelling. Because win10 update cannot be switched off except by brute force in services ( not even sure that works), if you use win10 on a laptop you travel with, when you link to a net in a hotel etc etc, it can attempt to run a update which you cannot stop ( do NOT stop it in services if it has started as it can lock up future updates as can previous windows versions). This will virtually lock up you device and use a lot of download ( a problem if you are on a prepaid stick or using you mobile as a hot spot). Lower lowered laptops will also run VERY slow to unusable.
If you have a a win 10 machine, while still at home, just before you leave, run an update ( several times if necessary to ensure all updates have actually loaded). Then go to Services and disable windows update ,until you get to a place where you have unfettered download and don't need you device for a while. Then go to services and re-enable repeating the above process.
Be aware I am relaying the effectiveness of turning it off in services. I haven't tried it yet and there may be other ramifications.

Well, somehow our laptop did a windows 10 update yesterday, even though I told it to do it later (then 5 minutes later guess what...).

Not happy Jan!

It's an Asus laptop, wife's choice at the time, I wasn't happy with it but that's another story.

Anyway, so now the mouse touch pad doesn't work except for a very small section on the far right hand side. The most we can get it to do is move from corner to corner of the screen. So we've not been able to look into anything.

And once again a new looking foramt to learn... fun fun.

Can anyone tell us how to sort out the mouse pad issue? Even the screen resolution doesn't seem to be right. Very frustrating!

Cheers

Bennie

Back