jf1sf5's forester

I bought my '97 Foz in 2002, second hand with 90'000 km.

The first year, I changed the OEM springs for Dobinsons, the wheels and tires, 1 inch lift blocks and a 8 mm thick aluminum sump guard after a big dent in the sump but no hole !

The rear Dobinsons were too hard, changed them for SF springs on SG self leveling struts.

In 2006, I wanted to go further with the mods and prepared the Foz for a saharian trip to Morocco, fitted some BFG AT's, Quaife front diff, rear SG LSD diff, SG disc brakes and larger SG rear track.

In october 2007, ready for the trip, drove about 1'500 km on very sandy/rocky trails and corrugations that blew the rubber of the rear top hats but drove back home with pieces of truck tires (no Subarus in Morocco !)

https://www.forum4x4.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55663&d=1364158577
https://www.forum4x4.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55664&d=1364158647

2010, bought some second hand Proflex evo2 coil overs that were made for the Forester engaged by Bruno Picard for the 2008 Dakar rally...cancelled.

2012, changed the BFG AT for General Grabber AT, as good or better off road with less noise on road, with Compomotive 16x7 ET30 wheels.

And discovered "www.offroadsubarus.com" that helps me modify my Foz !

2013, 1,59:1 low range, DCCD and rear Quaife diff because after some readings, I think the helical diffs suit my needs better (rain, snow)

Pics to come but I'm no good with computers !

Last edited:
I'm running STI rear axles in my Forester- they fit straight in. (assuming you have matching diff and hubs). They are noticeably thicker than the normal Subaru axles. How thick are the SVX ones?

SVX axles are about the same thickness as 4EAT '96 Legacy axles, will measure accurately later. But the CV joints are 6mm OD larger.

Last edited:
but your car as many other australian builds here are amazing. so many stuff in them that we in europe side couldn't get .

Hmmm...Switzerland is geografically in Europe...but not politically because we are a democracy !

You should be able to find any bits and pieces for your Outback in Europe or import them from anywhere else like I did for the suspension, the previous front CV axles and the DCCD controller only.

thanks. do you have like list of your cars mods like in one place ? or i need read all and search for it. and i suppose outback need different parts then any forester ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, your Outback BH has a different chassis than the '97-'08 Foresters, at least the rear multi-link suspension. The other parts like the engine/gearbox can usually be swapped with little modifications.

Most of the mods I did can be found here in my journal.

thats great man, make new ones . ;)

I have a few in the picture gallery, will do some more next spring :iconwink:

Awesome vid !
Your foz dealt with that no worries [emoji6]

do you have some good flex pics from side with your new shocks ? or maybe even comparison before and after new shocks ?
found some
attachment.php

so that front wheel doesnt drop down so much more then stock does it . i mean just front wheel alone . i got it that all 4 shocks makes such great flex there. but anyone made some comparrison stock vs coils on numbers , like how much more they allow ?

but that oem was with all sway bars ?
ok so 60cm flex with coils vs how much with stock ? anyone measured that ?

All three Foresters had no swaybars.

I don't go much lower than a 2" strut block lifted Subaru but I don't loose the thickness of the 2" blocks on compression. Its all about wheel travel/stroke, not ground clearance.

If I remember correctly, oem flex (diagonal spin) with swaybars was 27cm, without swaybars 42cm and HotBits 60cm (tire pressure 2,2bars/32psi)

Last edited:
now thats good flex there. sure its not all about ground clearance but you need to have some clearance first still.
that 42cm flex is forester your model flex yes ? wonder how well outbacks as mine do . i guess some worse as not same suspension design

Not sure that you don't get the same flex as the Forester. You have a longer wheelbase on the Outback. The only way to know is to test it !

Back