SJ 17 inch 235/60 or 225/65

goobags

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual
So my Foz is on order and I'm looking at wheel and tyre combos. As far as wheels, it will either be a 'downgrade' to OEM 17s (18s from factory and supposedly 16s won't fit a diesel) or leave at 18s and go aftermarket. That bit is easy and just comes down to the look and if I want a different offset and width.

My issue is that I am getting a manual and not sure the larger diameter 225/65 is a good thing for gearing. I don't do hectic trails, mainly fire roads and beach work and I will be putting in a 2 inch lift. On the other hand, a bit of reading tells me a 235/60 and 7 inch wide rims could be an issue, so that option would probably go with aftermarket 7.5 wide rims.

Sorry it's a bit of a ramble, it's doing my head in but I'm leaning towards aftermarket wheels and 235/60r17s

I really don't understand why they put 18s on these cars which they advertise as "A city SUV and mean off-roader"!

As you figured out already, getting a taller sidewall with a smaller wheel is a good thing.

What size tyre is OEM standard for the 18s?

I don't understand why they fit brakes so big you can't fit 16s. My 3 tonne GVM, 5.8 tonne GCM ute fits 16 inch wheels.

OEM is 225/55r18

Did the maths and it seems the difference in speed at 1000rpm is fairly insignificant. When I changed tyres on my ute, it was about a 1kph different, in this case it is about 0.26kph. So basically I think the 225/65 will be the option. I can put the maths up if anyone is interested.

Exactly!

The Subie speedos usually read about 10% slower so any increase in tyre diameter will help adjust that error.

Back