OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > General Forums > Members Journals

Notices

Unread 20th March 2018, 07:46 AM

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

Or ask tree to help you. Put cam on bush or tree. I did that often. Used car holder to help it balance better
Unread 1st April 2018, 10:56 PM

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road

Latest videos from testing. First video is where I and others had failed to climb with open rear diffs. Second video is a second run from a different angle. It is more difficult and steeper than it appears.
https://youtu.be/-vk09und-9o
https://youtu.be/VnDkGY-eXOo
The next 2 videos were to test the diff out on slippery surfaces, and it doesn't get much slipperier than wet moss. I must confess I was very nervous about this, because if it didn't get out recovery would have been very difficult, due to large holes in the rock. On the way up you can see me trying to avoid one by going as wide as I could, even though it meant heading into the shrubbery.
https://youtu.be/G5AV6RIxV24
https://youtu.be/xPAGu15SW20

The next video is exiting out of the creek bed. Most of the big 4WD's that cam this way scraped, and a Ranger got stuck.
https://youtu.be/lCFsH0Gg-PU

This was the hardest test of the lot. Most of the big 4WD's take the chicken track to the side. I was going maybe 3-4 kmh too fast, but you live and learn. Remember, this was on road tyres, and anyone who has seen this track knows it is hard.
Remember, this was on road tyres, and anyone who has seen this track knows it is hard
Unread 1st April 2018, 11:42 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Great to see your locker is sorted now!

The 4th video was interesting, I would like to try that with my OEM clutch LSD, stock centre & open front diff with proper muddies. I reckon I'd have enough grip to make it

The first video was disappointing. Sure it had a rock & was a little steep but there's no reason a Subaru with a 2" lift & ATs couldn't make that. I've seen & done far worse
Unread 1st April 2018, 11:53 PM

It was a lot steeper than it looks. When we all saw the video we were all disappointed because we felt it didn’t represent the difficulty. With the water video, the risk is recovery is very difficult and could damage your car a lot. I was quite nervous about this one for that reason, while the others didn’t bother me
Unread 2nd April 2018, 12:30 AM

Ooops, the last video wasn't posted. https://youtu.be/dVwNIblSTxQ
Unread 2nd April 2018, 03:13 AM

Great to see its working but why road tires? So no airing down then as well? 2 things that changes everything on offroad tracks: tires and airing down.
Unread 2nd April 2018, 03:25 AM

Aired down to 25 psi. Off road tyres are just a con job. People tell me they provide more grip when I have countless examples of road tyres in mud and other surfaces where they perform just as well as all terrain tyres. Then they say they are more puncture resistant and I have overwhelming evidence to show how in my experience road tyres have never suffered a sidewall penetration. Look at the videos. The tyres performed brilliantly. Diffs play a far more important role than tyre type.
Unread 2nd April 2018, 03:35 AM

Yes everything on videos looks so simple , so many times i was dissapointed from result in video like when you going uphill and in videos it looks like you on flat surface. Well great your tires holding there because you have spotters and drive carefully. Try do same tracks alone and see how your tires will hold. Maybe because your areas no mud or soft sufrace so they have grip. People here proved that simple stock forester can go places he never could before with stock tires because he was airing down like to 1bar. I would put tires over everything else lift diffs lockers. If you good now imagine how good you would be with good at tire aired down properly.
Unread 2nd April 2018, 03:58 AM

I had no spotters. On the water video people were filming me as elsewhere but I paid no attention to anything but where I was going. They asked me why I went into the bush and I told them I wanted to avoid a huge hole. I trust only myself in most situations. The hills are far steeper in reality than they appear. Previously when the track in the first video was in better condition a Forester on all terrain tyres failed to get up. I have videos of my car before the diff locker in deep mud towing a 750 kg trailer getting through easily. Last night over the campfire we were discussing people’s reaction to these videos and the first one we expected was the “imagine how much better it would be on all terrain tyres”. I never go off-roading alone as that is asking for trouble. I have though done tens of thousands of outback kilometres with others and never had a sidewall puncture on road tyres. I have had plenty on all terrain tyres which is why I don’t use them anymore. There was one in our group who did get a sidewall puncture this trip. He had a Yokohama geolander aired down to 22psi.
Unread 5th April 2018, 02:33 AM

I am a bit surprised that there was more interest in the engine conversion than in the results of testing the rear diff lock.