Kevin

Administrator
Car Year
MY'03
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
A/T
Anyone watching? This years event seems to be really harsh on the competitors with lots of drop-outs and injuries!

as allways im watching. this year 3 car factory racers and 1 on 2 wheels from my country. just amazing how peugeot and other similar type cars just goes with 2wd style and goes well. i guess they went for speed vs more offroady. but when they sink they sink deep.
its just shame they show so less in those oficial programs. then some we can find on youtube. why we in 2018 still cant have like live stream from cars from trucks from bikes from others. i mean i dont like what hey show or talk on tv shows. about country about this and that and so little about race itself.

Yes. I record the shows and watch a day or 2 later. It’s a joke they call those things cars. That is about the only criticism I have though. In earlier times, they really were cars. But when you have a mini the size of a Landcruiser you know that they have drifted way too far with the rules. Apart from that, an amazing event where even getting to the start line is an achievement. You really feel for those who break down or crash. Often the latter most probably due to sheer fatigue. As for navigation, especially for the bike and quad riders, I don’t know how they do it.

but there are plenty normal cars in dakar that they just dont show on tv. i wish someone would stream like other car classes not just stars. in old time dakar was just race for amateurs with their simple cars. and now it become thing of money . because there is hundred racers going there and we see on tc just couple stars that are not very interesting at all most times. and all others just going there trying survive . normal cars normal bikes too people racing from their own money too and no mechanics waiting with parts in camp. thats what real dakar was about and it should be again.

well that forester in 2010 dakar wasnt very normal forester
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciIYYASC1b4"]Equipo Subaru-Elaion DAKAR 2010 - YouTube[/ame]

and bikes from factory teams that race in dakar is special made models that you cant buy anywhere else they longer base then normal ones.

some crash compilation. on 1:38 one of lithuanians crashing
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xr-SzU_z1o"]Dakar 2018 Special Week 2 Rally Crash Compilation | RACINGFAIL - YouTube[/ame]

and thats how it went in 1979
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHNA-HhspVo"]Very first Dakar Rally - 1979 - Enduro and rally - YouTube[/ame]

We only get a 30 minute highlights package which clearly isn't long enough. More standard cars like in 1979 would be good, more meanigful

there were 105 cars from start and in tv show we see only maybe 10 of them. there is plenty standard cars there that noone sees. just couple Dakar Heroes are let to stream their race a little and show to all people. that we can see on youtube as well. but not much more. then separate countries make tv shows some different as their talk and show their country racers and how they doing there. but our country dakar tv show is allmost same as oficial tv show just with extra shots.
would be nice if that still could be race for simple people with their own cars not race for money and everything goes to money now. such nice made cars and then first day all fuel pumps goes wrong. i mean cmon hows that even possible. one guy with toyota factory team with lots mechanics ans spare parts and such he had failure of all fuel pumps at first day... so they make this car all year ...then they test it for month....and then first day fuel pomp goes wrong. i mean cmon i would drive longer with my own car.

I agree it would be good to see more of the normal cars rather than the leaders all the time.

After stage 4 or 5 last week 59 of the 330 vehicles had dropped out already! Not sure how many have dropped out since.

PS - found it - 138 dropped out now!

I would like to see the big names in production cars.

Is there a class for them (if that's the right terminology)? I.e unmodified vehicles?

You'd start to see some interseting vehicles hit the road if the car manufacturers were involved more.

Remember the wacked out Citroen that was built for it some years back? That was pretty insane for the time.

I remember Larry Perkins in the mid 80's taking a Vee Dub Beetle on the Australian Safari. He was leading all the works teams in their big dollar 4WD's until he hit something on the second last day. I don't know the classes in Dakar, I only here the odd reference to the T2 class which look more like production vehicles- but still 4WD's apparently

I remember Larry Perkins in the mid 80's taking a Vee Dub Beetle on the Australian Safari.
Rear engine boxer. Dual up the rear wheels and a good beetle is almost unstoppable.
I had a '76 back in the mid 80's wish I'd kept it but couldn't afford to restore it (I tend to be a bit casual with vehicles, this forester is the longest I've ever owned a car, bicycles are a different matter).

thats how i watched last shows

bed763edfdff1029c509414106abd10e.jpg

While stationary I presume...

Well...the tablet is stationary :ebiggrin:

Yes, until people started shooting at them!

Well done to the winners, finishers and all competitors. Just getting to the start line is something in itself. To actually finish is something to be proud of. Well done Toby Price. Podium finish which but for one bit of poor navigation could have been victory #2 . And with only 6 weeks preparation.

Yes, until people started shooting at them!

Well, does give them something else to think about ...

I stopped following these things after the French dominated world rally body succeeded in banning Minis from rallying against any cars except other Minis, effectively destroying Leyland in the process.

yes i watched it while stationary in forest area so nobody bothers me or me them. still didin't saw last day show so will later today.
i wonder what it would need to just come to finish mean not fly or anything but tjust drive fast but safe to just come to end. so many cars/bikes/trucks went off. those mini buggies where interesting. people saying half price as car enter. and they more secured then 4wheelers too. i most enjoy views how they fly how they control cars and how it all looks. and if someone wins just because other guy was not lucky well thats ok but not like he was best. just ones get more luck then others. its not about driver if car just brakes on you .
interesting things they showed about tires how they diff 2wd from 4wd cars. diff regulations and such. BFG of course are hardest beast out there. its just something that makes you proud of that you have same tires maker as one that uses in hardest race in the world. well Baja too.

There still is a race to Dakar actually called Africa Eco Race. And its more in the spirit of the early Dakars.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnJkZ4Lu-kY"]AFRICA ECO RACE 2018 STAGE 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Back