Forester Solid Axle Conversion

If you want poor axle clearance and poor onroad handling buy one of the countless 4wds with solid axles. I've gotten fairly good articulation out of my independent suspension. You'd need both front and rear solid axles for the extra articulation to be worth it and long traveling shocks to get the full benefit, which are expensive on 4wds too.

Wonder what vehicle he's sourcing it out of and his budget...

Tim is a admin of FozTrek on Facebook, his Forester is pretty hard core at the moment, but I don't know if he is still looking at doing a solid axle conversion anymore.

Horses for courses, as a friend, who has lived in Australia, btw, says.

I have been driving the best 4x4s available in the US trying to see what I want going forward.

You cannot seriously compare the best of each kind. Here nobody considers Subaru an offroad brand, but we all know where it excels and how awesome it is most places. But you cannot argue with a Wrangler, nothing can, not in our terrain. And the brand new JLU Wrangler drives so well, it is totally livable in town despite the solid axles.

I actually happen to have the third kind of thing, the best expedition vehicle offered here at present, in my garage. I rented a 2wd base trim because that is all the Toyota dealer has for rent. But it still has most characteristic of the Offroad 4Runner.

All three, my modified Outback, the new Wrangler, and the 4Runner excel in different ways. The OB excels more often than the other two, this is without doubt. But nothing beats the Wrangler on trail or the 4Runner TRD, built in the same plant that makes the Land Cruiser, as an expedition vehicle in the US (the 2008+ USDM Land Cruiser is a...ugh).

The only question is which one is right for whom and when.

There is no point arguing across totally different platforms and a Subaru's flex compares to a Wrangler's like a school football team compares to Barca. And vice-versa with respect to handling, steering, and so on.

I think I will stick to diff locks for off road capability and independent suspension for on road capability.

The more I think about it, I reckon the claim is just a wind up.

Surely no one would really contemplate such a conversion. The engineering and logistics are mind boggling, the benefits questionable and the costs, well.....

Solid rear would do more harm then good. And then so much rebuilding stuff. And of course no traction control with that. But people just do some stuff because they want to even if it wont do any good.
Need solid axles then buy solid axle car and build from there.

Solid Axles are so last year. Portal Axles are all the rage on Subarus now.:monkeydance:

Back