wheel offset for 2013 outback

kovo

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
outback
Transmission
cvt
I'm wanting to kick out my tires a little this June when I will be replacing my worn Contis. I have a 2013 Outback, 1.5" primitive lift w/kings. I was thinking about going with 225 65R 17 Yokohama a/t GO15's put on Method Rally MR 502 or 501 wheels. The Method 502's have a 38mm offset, the 501 have a 42 mm off set.

As this is new to me I have some questions.

1. Will a 38mm or 42mm offset cause me any problems, i.e. premature wheel bearing failure? Other?

2. Will I get any tire rubbing with either set-up?

3. Do I need to get an alignment if the new wheels and tires are properly balanced, if my Outback has good alignment now?

4. I'm planning to do tire rotation every 5-6000 miles with my oil changes and rotate a spare Yoko / method which I will get new with the others, any negatives on this?

5. On the Yokohama a/t GO15's....anyone in Floridah here use this tire? The mfg says good for snow and was wondering if the tires might wear too fast in the hot temps.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Kovo

Last edited:
Welcome aboard kovo. Obviously I cannot answer all questions:

1. Doubt it
2. Don't know
3. Definitely yes; the new offset will track differently.
4. A good plan - I have 6 wheels for both cars and rotate all 6.
5. Only if you drive too fast! :lol:

All tires will wear faster if used offroad (unless you only do sand, I guess).

I generally expect 25-30,000 miles of offroad worthy tread and about 10k beyond that for road use only.

I/wife get great mileage out of street-only tires so it is not about our driving habits.

Back