Foz steel rims on trailer

Gazoola

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Auto
I have a 6'x4' trailer (made by John Papas in Perth), which I have been told has either Ford or Holden rims on it. To avoid carrying a spare for the trailer and one for my Foz I wanted to fit some Forrester steel rims to the trailer.

I thought it would be a straightforward exercise of just swapping the hubs to a 5 x 100 PCD type, but after visiting two trailer parts/repair shops, one said not worth doing (too expensive), the second one quoted $95 odd for each hub which they were going to fabricate.

So has anyone converter their basic trailer to use Forrester steel rims? Any tips or gotchas? Any recommendations on who in Perth has the parts on the shelf rather than having to have them custom fabricated?

- Gaz

One thing I forgot to mention is the rim offsets, which is 48mm on the Forrester rims. No one I spoke with mentioned whether this would be an issue or not. Should most rims, including Ford/Holden ones, have the offset stamped on them? I've read that if the Forrester rims have less of an offset than what they are replacing, then it can put more strain on wheel bearings.

Ark Corporation make trailer hubs for Subaru. Google their web site. They generally have their parts available from Autobarn and Super cheap.

I had to buy a new axle and hubs for mine. The 16" Forester rims were wider, with a different offset from the circa 1970 14" rims my trailer came with in the early 1980s.

I also wanted to get the track the same as my vehicle (not optional ... ).

See my trailer build thread for more details.

Thanks all! There are some good ideas and leads there. I'll investigate further...:)

Gazoola,

Don't know who you have tried in Perth but I have used Martins Trailer parts Wangara - (08) 9303 9568 O'Connor - (08) 9314-3035 Bayswater - (08) 9279-3007

https://www.trailerparts.net.au.sdwt.com.au/

I don't think they stock Subaru they will have to drill and stud for you but they do that in house

Regarding offset and is the new wheel going to rub on the frame - nobody is going to be able to help you without looking.

You will need to hop under the trailer and measure frame to hub face and then measure a new wheel and see if it will fit.

I changed my hubs and wheels and only ended up with 15mm clearance ( a bit on the small side according to the books) I haven't had any rubbing and I may have loaded my trailer a lot and at times unevenly:rolleyes:

PS is you want it done rather that doing it yourself. PM me

PPS Trailer Parts online store price
C0100A

HUB SPECIAL DRILLED TO PATTERN 150MM STUDDED ONLY

Price Inc. GST
$67.65 / KIT

Availability
Low No Stock

Minimum Buy

Multiple Buy

Quantity

Back