My engine is a smoke machine - EJ20 Compatibility

Good to hear, DM :ebiggrin: :biggrin:.

S/h engines are always a bit of a gamble.

FWIW, the EJ-18 in Roo1 had done 236+K kms, and on the trip to Brissy and back in 2011, it used no oil and no water in some 4,000+ kms. It probably would have continued doing that for a very long time.

May your 'new' engine be the same :).

Only just saw this thread. Glad you found a good engine. I'm often surprised with my engine how torquey it is for a 2.0L.

made a custom labyrinth style seal on the crankshaft pulley to try keep water out of the timing cover as all the timing bearings on my old motor were showing signs of deterioration despite only being 15000kms old. Hopefully this new seal will make it much harder for water to get in.

Any pics? I'd love to know more about this seal, esp since my recent dunking :iconwink:

Any pics? I'd love to know more about this seal, esp since my recent dunking :iconwink:

Nah I didnt take any pics stupidly. Basically I just put something on both the outer and inner diameters of the grove in the back of the pulley so it is a closer fit to the timing case to try limit water ingestion. Hard to explain so a made a diagram

The back of the pulley looks like this.
CrankshaftPulleyLubericated.jpg

I added some tube where the orange circles are to make the gap smaller. The timing case has a lip which slots between the two. Wont keep water out entirely but will make it more difficult for it to get in.

15420079689_3236cfdc29.jpg

I also sealed up the timing case a bit as well but this had not stopped water getting in on my old engine.

NachaLuva did you have your engine running the whole time you were stuck? If so I would take out your starter motor and clean it up, the motor its self is not that important but the solenoid is. I have had 2 stick on because of grit and it burns out the whole motor and solenoid and potentially your wiring.
When you are stuck in water the spinning fly wheel picks up water and pumps it around. The shape of the bell housing starter motor funnels all the water and crap straight into the starter.

N
NachaLuva did you have your engine running the whole time you were stuck? If so I would take out your starter motor and clean it up, the motor its self is not that important but the solenoid is. I have had 2 stick on because of grit and it burns out the whole motor and solenoid and potentially your wiring.
When you are stuck in water the spinning fly wheel picks up water and pumps it around. The shape of the bell housing starter motor funnels all the water and crap straight into the starter.

Yep, didnt want to turn it off incase water got sucked up the exhaust into the engine.

OK I'll do that...

I'm also getting a noise coming from the compressor :(

Yep, didnt want to turn it off incase water got sucked up the exhaust into the engine.

I'm also getting a noise coming from the compressor :(

Yeah I have always wondered about the exhaust. No milky oil in the engine?

You will most likely find that it is the idler pulley on the AC belt. Ive gone through 3 already. You can get a replacement bearing from a bearing joint which is heaps cheaper than a new pulley.

Back