Brownie

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys,

I recently bought an MY06 manual forester and I love it. But I noticed I was going through 1L of oil for every 1,000km as well as a burnt tire smell from the engine. No smoke out the exhaust, no oil in the radiator fluid and no oil left on the ground (that I could tell) but the passenger side of my engine is coated in oil. It looks like most of it is coming from the centre bolt of the rocker cover gasket but the other spot that look like there has been leakage is an on one. About 15mm back from the rocker cover gasket there is a round Rubber component in the head with a couple of allen key bolts. I don't know what this is or what seal it appears to be. I can even properly tell where it leads or ends. I have some photos which I will attach

I want to know what this is and whether it could be a source of a leak. Thankyou all in advance for the help!

The first image is of my passenger side rocker cover. The second is of that odd spot I mentioned. It is on the rear of the engine

https://s32.photobucket.com/user/Ni..._20180707_144430_zpswuwhphmq.jpg.html?filters

Pictures didn’t come out. Hopefully not a head gasket. If you haven’t already done so, degrease engine then take photos of oil leak

Yeah, still having issues with the images but I think I've managed to fix it for now (kind of). The head gasket is clean as a whistle and there is a tonne of oil in the sparkplug tubes so the rocker gasket is a job that is definitely getting done. But this other spot makes me a bit nervous since I don't know what it is or does

Is it a turbo or non turbo engine?

Sounds very similar to the oil leak my MYO5 has developed, no need in my case to add oil as yet (2500kms after llast service or theraebouts).
taking it into the mechanic on monday for an evaluataion. cleaned everything i could get to, haven;t found the particular area yet where it's coming from, but definately some coming from the same spot you mentioned.

Back