Melbourne to Esperance and return via Lake Eyre, 2011

As I sat eating dinner in the dark I sensed a movement in a nearby Mallee tree, and luckily had my camera close by. A mouse sized marsupial, known as a Western Pygmy Possum, was feeding on new growth in the eucalypt. With much excitement I took a flash photograph, only to feel more than a slight sense of guilt at having blinded the poor little creature temporarily.

0229imgp2432.jpg

I promised myself that I would not do this again, and reconciled I slept with a sense of good fortune at having watched such a tiny and delicate creature.

You forgot to mention critically endangered!

Awesome pic Greg...truly awesome! :monkeydance:

Oh yeah, the rest was pretty good too :iconwink:

Wow. Is all I can say. Thank you for your stories and most spectacular pics. Stumbled across this story trying to find a solution for an Outback rooftop tent... Now I feel the need to explore! Thanks heaps and look forward to your next post :raz:

Gidday

Well thanks for the welcome Mr Turbo. I am intrigued by all this information that has only been just a click away! Regards, Scooby2

An amazing report Greg!! Very well written (and photographed). I admire how you always investigate the indigenous significance of everything, I am the very much same but I am surprised at the amount of narrow-minded people who don't want to know.

I only wish I had've done my research prior to my arrival at Parnka Point - it was about 8 degrees, raining and night time. We drove the few kms in to the campsite, then upon arrival I got out and felt quite uneasy. Thinking there was a murderer in the bushes we then proceeded onto Meningie Caravan Park (yeah I hate CPs too). Over time I have realised that I am sensitive to spiritual energy (just like the time at Mt Chambers Gorge). If I hadn't have been so tired I might have been able to tell myself what exactly I was feeling, but on this night it just felt like the heebeegeebees.

.....and yes, I too still carry the guilt of using flash photography on endangered wildlife when I took a single photo of a Southern Bentwing bat in Naracoorte Caves. Let's just say I felt so bad I'll never do it again.

Such an awesome report Greg!! Only discovered it last night, but kept me up late as I read through the whole thing, when I was really meant to be writing an essay... Time well spent in my opinion!

The excellent photography accompanies the stories perfectly! Great stuff.

Back